How much do i need to gain ?

Options
My weight is 72 KG and i want to gain more muscles , i know how to workout . But i don't know how much i need to eat , how can i know ?

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

I don't think that what what the OP was asking for - He wants to know how many calories he needs to eat to gain.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    OP it's impossible for any of us to know how much you need to eat. It can vary greatly from person to person. My friend same height and almost same weight gains at 2700 calories a day. For myself I have to eat around 3400 a day to gain .5lbs a week.

You'll have to use a calorie calculator. Get an estimate and then go from there. It'll be either too high or too low. If you find yourself gaining too much, drop your daily intake by 250 a week until you're at a comfortable weight gain. The same goes for not gaining enough. You should aim for about .5-1lb a week

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

I don't think that what what the OP was asking for - He wants to know how many calories he needs to eat to gain.

And using that calculator or the one on here is how the OP will find out how much he needs to eat to gain.

OP, if you've been cutting you might want to do a week or two of maintenance first before moving onto a surplus rather than going straight from a deficit to a surplus.
  • MailyAcami
    MailyAcami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MFP allows to gain only 0.5kg a week. At first I thought that it was too little. But then it turned out I had to eat 2000 kal a day. And it worked! I gain weight every week even more than 0.5 kg. So... Why not just use MFP?
  • Hmh2040
    Hmh2040 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

And using that calculator or the one on here is how the OP will find out how much he needs to eat to gain.

OP, if you've been cutting you might want to do a week or two of maintenance first before moving onto a surplus rather than going straight from a deficit to a surplus.

I've been cutting for the last few months , but at the same time, I've been lifting heavy weights , now i want to focus on the gaining more than the cutting , and my problem is with my meals not my workout
  • Hmh2040
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    OP it's impossible for any of us to know how much you need to eat. It can vary greatly from person to person. My friend same height and almost same weight gains at 2700 calories a day. For myself I have to eat around 3400 a day to gain .5lbs a week.

You'll have to use a calorie calculator. Get an estimate and then go from there. It'll be either too high or too low. If you find yourself gaining too much, drop your daily intake by 250 a week until you're at a comfortable weight gain. The same goes for not gaining enough. You should aim for about .5-1lb a week

I will try to raise the amount of calories , but i'm afraid of gaining fat instead of the muscles
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hmh2040 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

I will try to raise the amount of calories , but i'm afraid of gaining fat instead of the muscles

It's inevitable to gain fat during a bulk. That is why you cut post bulk. If you can't deal with the fat gains, then you can try a recomp (eat at maintenance and hope for some offsetting muscle gains and fat loss) but it's very slow (I have seen people take 12-24 months for the progress they hoped for) and sometimes not effective.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    We need more information. What is your age, sex, height, weight, current bodyfat % (approx.), work out history?

If you are a novice (I assume you are), it is simple:

1- Calculate your TDEE on google. This is how many calories you require to maintain weight. If you are underweight, eat +500 calories to gain 1lb a week. You might be a scrawny novice, or skinny fat novice (skinny but has more bodyfat / no muscle). I suggest +500 calories over your TDEE regardless.

2- While you are doing the above, get on a lifting program. Common ones for novices are Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, Ice Cream Fitness, or GreySkull LP. All of these fine programs, while eating a surplus, will lead to a gain in muscle mass and body weight. As long as you lift, you will put these nutrients towards building muscle and minimal fat gain (fat gain in inevitable, but necessary at this phase). Do not bulk past 20% bodyfat (15% is what you are aiming for).
    TIP: Read url="http://www.barbellmedicine.com/training/top-10-mistakes-people-following-starting-strength-make/"]common mistakes beginners make on a strength program[/url and url="http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/"]this in depth article about nutrition with examples of underweight novices such as yourself[/url

3- Progress in said programs. You should be aiming to do multiple reps of: ~1.5x bodyweight squat, ~1x bodyweight bench, ~2x bodyweight deadlift, ~0.75x bodyweight overhead press. As your bodyweight and muscle increases, you can start to dial the caloric surplus back a bit so you don't get fat (i.e. bulk at +250 calories instead of +500).

4- Months have passed. Now you have muscle. Time to cut weight and reveal the goodness! Start your cut at TDEE -250 to -500 calories. Keep on lifting during this point - your body will know not to get rid of the muscle since you are still using it (strength loss is inevitable, but lifting minimizes it). You will have to decrease your volume on your lifting program. By this point, you are a couple months in and might be done with the beginner lifting program. You can branch out to something else of your choice (more aesthetic, or strength focus programs, up to you!).

Edit:
    I am assuming you are underweight at 72KG / 160LBS since you asked about gaining muscle, but it depends on your height. If you are 5'4", then ease up on the weight gains (eat at maintenance or slow bulk of +250 calories).

Bonus: Form videos on the squat, bench press, deadlift, and overhead press.

Good Luck! And remember, consistency is KING
  • Hmh2040
    Options
    We need more information. What is your age, sex, height, weight, current bodyfat % (approx.), work out history?

If you are a novice (I assume you are), it is simple:

1- Calculate your TDEE on google. This is how many calories you require to maintain weight. If you are underweight, eat +500 calories to gain 1lb a week. You might be a scrawny novice, or skinny fat novice (skinny but has more bodyfat / no muscle). I suggest +500 calories over your TDEE regardless.

2- While you are doing the above, get on a lifting program. Common ones for novices are Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, Ice Cream Fitness, or GreySkull LP. All of these fine programs, while eating a surplus, will lead to a gain in muscle mass and body weight. As long as you lift, you will put these nutrients towards building muscle and minimal fat gain (fat gain in inevitable, but necessary at this phase). Do not bulk past 20% bodyfat (15% is what you are aiming for).
    TIP: Read url="http://www.barbellmedicine.com/training/top-10-mistakes-people-following-starting-strength-make/"]common mistakes beginners make on a strength program[/url and url="http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/"]this in depth article about nutrition with examples of underweight novices such as yourself[/url

3- Progress in said programs. You should be aiming to do multiple reps of: ~1.5x bodyweight squat, ~1x bodyweight bench, ~2x bodyweight deadlift, ~0.75x bodyweight overhead press. As your bodyweight and muscle increases, you can start to dial the caloric surplus back a bit so you don't get fat (i.e. bulk at +250 calories instead of +500).

4- Months have passed. Now you have muscle. Time to cut weight and reveal the goodness! Start your cut at TDEE -250 to -500 calories. Keep on lifting during this point - your body will know not to get rid of the muscle since you are still using it (strength loss is inevitable, but lifting minimizes it). You will have to decrease your volume on your lifting program. By this point, you are a couple months in and might be done with the beginner lifting program. You can branch out to something else of your choice (more aesthetic, or strength focus programs, up to you!).

Edit:
    I am assuming you are underweight at 72KG / 160LBS since you asked about gaining muscle, but it depends on your height. If you are 5'4", then ease up on the weight gains (eat at maintenance or slow bulk of +250 calories).

Bonus: Form videos on the squat, bench press, deadlift, and overhead press.

Good Luck! And remember, consistency is KING

Thank you for this golden tips , my height is 175 cm

I know most of the workouts + i usually workout with my cousin who has experience in this kind of workouts + i've been lifting weights for nearly 2 years now
  • HamsterManV2
    Options
    What are your lifts like? And what are your goals? many people lift for years without a clear program and progression (i.e. I was doing P90x, Insanity, random lifting stuff, before I got on a proper lifting program and made REAL gains).

Squat, Bench, Deadlift weight for 1RM and/or 5RM
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi @HamsterManV2, I'm currently trying to add some muscle. I've had a long battle trying to gain size, but now thanks to this app and having a steady dayshift job, I'm slowly gaining (2.5kg in 10weeks eating around 3500cals per day). I'm now worried reading your comment about bulking over 20%BF. I'm certainly don't see myself as fat but I have a hard round stomach, which you can only just pinch an inch! I know it's not accurate but I've just done a quick Google on how to check BF and it says i'm 23.5%, would it be recommended to stop bulking, or just lower calories slightly? But then I'm worried I'll lose size, how long do people normally bulk before cutting?
  • HamsterManV2
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi @HamsterManV2, I'm currently trying to add some muscle. I've had a long battle trying to gain size, but now thanks to this app and having a steady dayshift job, I'm slowly gaining (2.5kg in 10weeks eating around 3500cals per day). I'm now worried reading your comment about bulking over 20%BF. I'm certainly don't see myself as fat but I have a hard round stomach, which you can only just pinch an inch! I know it's not accurate but I've just done a quick Google on how to check BF and it says i'm 23.5%, would it be recommended to stop bulking, or just lower calories slightly? But then I'm worried I'll lose size, how long do people normally bulk before cutting?

The joke goes "cut till you see abs, bulk till you hate yourself".
    Honestly, you can bulk as long as you want, but you won't be aesthetic. I find a good balance is to hover around 15% bodyfat, where you can cut down to 10-12%, and bulk up to 20% max (bodybuilders say bulk up to 15% max, but I'm being more liberal). You can maintain maximum performance at 15% body fat or less.
    Another way to look at it is all thing being equal, a 180lb lifter with 15% bodyfat is stronger than a 180lb lifter with 25% bodyfat. Be stronger for your weight, cut down, then re-bulk back up!

Remember, you still make strength gains on a cut, just slower. Keep the same intensity (weights) and lower the volume (less reps).

Unless you are going playing a sport where heavy is good, like football, there is no need to get over 20% body fat... it just sets up a longer cutting phase.
  • gareths1980
    Options

Honestly, you can bulk as long as you want, but you won't be aesthetic. I find a good balance is to hover around 15% bodyfat, where you can cut down to 10-12%, and bulk up to 20% max (bodybuilders say bulk up to 15% max, but I'm being more liberal). You can maintain maximum performance at 15% body fat or less.
    Another way to look at it is all thing being equal, a 180lb lifter with 15% bodyfat is stronger than a 180lb lifter with 25% bodyfat. Be stronger for your weight, cut down, then re-bulk back up!

Remember, you still make strength gains on a cut, just slower. Keep the same intensity (weights) and lower the volume (less reps).

Unless you are going playing a sport where heavy is good, like football, there is no need to get over 20% body fat... it just sets up a longer cutting phase.

Thanks, I don't quite hate myself yet ;-)
    I'm only just starting to make good progress on lifting heavier on a structured program, recently started ice cream fitness.
    I think I'll maybe throw afew HIT sessions per week and see how things go.
  • HamsterManV2
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm only just starting to make good progress on lifting heavier on a structured program, recently started ice cream fitness.

I also did ICF when I was a novice. Very good program IMO. I pushed myself hard with the weights so I did not have energy to do HIIT after (was on a cut).
  • gareths1980
    Options

I also did ICF when I was a novice. Very good program IMO. I pushed myself hard with the weights so I did not have energy to do HIIT after (was on a cut).

My HIT will be on the off days, I have tried a few different programs but I struggle to commit time, and I like routine. I definately have a Mon, Wed and Friday where I can get to the gym, so wanted to find a structured program for them days. It seems ok so far but I do struggle with boredom during rest time.
    I've pretty much always done supersets, which I gather is why I've struggled to gain size.
  • HamsterManV2
    Options

My HIT will be on the off days, I have tried a few different programs but I struggle to commit time, and I like routine. I definately have a Mon, Wed and Friday where I can get to the gym, so wanted to find a structured program for them days. It seems ok so far but I do struggle with boredom during rest time.
    I've pretty much always done supersets, which I gather is why I've struggled to gain size.

Assuming you eat properly (TDEE + 500 calories), you will see a great increase in muscle mass, especially since this if your first time on a real strength and hypertrophy program. I do miss those noob gains. Enjoy!
  • wbenge2323
    wbenge2323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Supplements!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    wbenge2323 wrote: »
    Supplements!

No.