Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    6AMGANG wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    coffee for me
    Exactly. The hype over pre workout is so exaggerated by many gym socialites who really don't need it, but use it because everyone else does.

This is not true - I didn't use it when I started lifting. Now I do, after being shown - it does improve workout/lifts.

I would suggest fixing your diet/sleep patterns instead of digesting some woo.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    coffee for me
    Exactly. The hype over pre workout is so exaggerated by many gym socialites who really don't need it, but use it because everyone else does.

This is not true - I didn't use it when I started lifting. Now I do, after being shown - it does improve workout/lifts.

a quick perusing of studies show perceived energy, alertness, focus, and increased leg press abilities, but oddly enough no increased bench press abilities.

which, compared to studies on just caffeine, are similar results only the caffeine studies showed increased performance on every lift.

So, pre-workouts beyond some simple caffeine do have greatly exaggerated benefits. As JoRocka put it, some intestinal fortitude and coffee will get you just as far.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of fresh ground, cold brewed, double strength coffee (which I keep in the fridge) and take small glassful upon waking when I work out early.

It's cheap, I love the taste, and as a regular coffee drinker I'm pretty adept at manipulating it to get the right hit.
  • 6AMGANG
    6AMGANG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    coffee for me

a quick perusing of studies show perceived energy, alertness, focus, and increased leg press abilities, but oddly enough no increased bench press abilities.

which, compared to studies on just caffeine, are similar results only the caffeine studies showed increased performance on every lift.

So, pre-workouts beyond some simple caffeine do have greatly exaggerated benefits. As JoRocka put it, some intestinal fortitude and coffee will get you just as far.

Even if it is a mental thing - it works. It dont really matter and not being qualified in the field means I cannot put up a valid argument, however it works for me, and thats what matters. :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    coffee for me

What studies? What ingredients in the product provide the improves? The comment "perceived" indicates at best a placebo effect and possibly the impact of caffeine.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Not a beat a dead horse, but if all your looking for is a pick me up, coffee will do the trick. If you don't want to make a pot that early in the morning, try tossing in some instant coffee with protein powder in a shaker cup.
  • mermaid2290
    mermaid2290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I do use coffee before work outs but I wanted to try something that will give me a little more of an urge to work out harder when im at the gym. I ordered c4 and will start with half the dose and go from there. Thanks again!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If I am feeling fatigued, then is my pre-workout for everything except running a competitive 5k. Then I use whatever my husband has in his gym bag. I have an autoimmune disease so I try not to add a lot of extra creatine to my life for my kidneys to deal with. most days I don't use a pre-workout at all.

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I ordered some Mixt samples, and a little tub of For Her preworkout came with it. I tried it before a fitness class. I am a regular coffee drinker. The only thing I notice was my face was tingling?? hahah I don't know what that was all about.. it was interesting to say the least!
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like C4, and it helps me. I also detest the taste of coffee, so that is not an option for me. Do what works best for you. You just have to try a couple, see what you like best.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    I ordered some Mixt samples, and a little tub of For Her preworkout came with it. I tried it before a fitness class. I am a regular coffee drinker. The only thing I notice was my face was tingling?? hahah I don't know what that was all about.. it was interesting to say the least!

The tingling is a side effect of Beta Alanine (a popular pre-workout amino acid). It promotes lactic acid buffering which, in theory, gives your muscles the capacity to work longer before feeling fatigued. It's one of the better-researched supplements out there. I take it pre and post workout.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like the C4, great flavors you can actually enjoy. It does give me the energy to make it through the longer workouts. I don't drink any type of caffeine (no coffee, tea or soda). The C4 is more than enough to get me through the workout and I haven't experienced any crash after the fact!

Edited to add that there are some pre-workouts that do give the jittery feeling or an itchy feeling. I tried one that made my hands shake and my heart beat was increased before I even started the workout. But C4 has never done that to me.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    clehman71 wrote: »
    I like the C4, great flavors you can actually enjoy. It does give me the energy to make it through the longer workouts. I don't drink any type of caffeine (no coffee, tea or soda).

C4 has like, 150mg of caffeine in it...so you definitely drink caffeine.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    coffee for me

What studies? What ingredients in the product provide the improves? The comment "perceived" indicates at best a placebo effect and possibly the impact of caffeine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361498/ is one example, not saying I have a conclusive list, but a quick perusal gave similar results for various supplements (named or unnamed) all with caffeine as a major active ingredient. This study specifically notes that caffeine is a major active ingredient and that it has been shown to provide benefits similar to those found in this study. It also notes that there are multiple ingredients in this product and that it is impossible to pinpoint which provided the improved performance. As a note, in that study the perceived energy is stated as such because those results were based on a questionnaire.

So, preworkouts work, I'm not denying that, but do they work better than caffeine especially to the exaggerated level you see by those who just take it and say how awesome they are? I'm yet to see any evidence of that.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My friend gave me some BCAA to try. It's been 2 weeks of use and all my workouts have been better then normal. I wasn't sure if psychological but I feel better throughout my workouts.
    I'm so glad some have mentioned about the beta- alanine tingling, I had called my friend thinking I was having a reaction.
    I have always drank caffeine in am prior to my morning workouts and a high protein breakfast. I'm gonna finish up what she gave me and then go without for a month to see if it makes a difference.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Well you learn something new every day. :|
    Just coffee for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

So, preworkouts work, I'm not denying that, but do they work better than caffeine especially to the exaggerated level you see by those who just take it and say how awesome they are? I'm yet to see any evidence of that.

agreed... my personal opinion is most people aren't at a place where they need it- they want that feeling of being "motivated" - and at some point just sucking it up is what you need- I consider myself an intermediate level athelte/lifter- and I've never really taken any pre-workout other than a snickers and some coffee.

I don't feel at my level I NEED that- my training doesn't require me to do anything other than show up and grind- I don't need the workout to feel awesome- or my face to itch and personally I much prefer the feeling of weakness- that itself is a driving force to make me want to be stronger.

I'm a firm believer in not using artificially sourced motivation and drivers- why? Because I want my "want" to be good enough to drive me.

seriously- just have your coffee and suck it up and FEEL your body work- on it's own.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    OP - is there any reason you think you need a pre workout supplement or is this something you just heard you need?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout is pretty gender neutral. It's a stimulant - how you react to it is specific to you, and has little to do with what's between your legs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    coffee for me

Your nervous system is stimulated for a short blast of energy (1 hour or so). If your nutritional intake and correct rest amount were consistent, there's no reason you shouldn't see the same results.
    Realize that it's just a "proprietary blend" of caffeine and some other small dosage of other ingredients. Drink a strong cup of coffee, or some caffeine pills (200mgs) and you'll basically get the same boost for WAY LESS money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png