One month to get faster run time..?

Options
Basically one month to improve on my mile and half time..?

How to get faster in such a short time frame last time I ran it was a 9:30 is it feasible to drop say 30 seconds within that time frame

I was thinking about running
Monday:7-8 miles at about 8-9 min mile pace
Tuesday:2-3 miles at about 7 min mile pace
Wednesday:rest
Thursday: hill sprints (basically running up the hill as fast as I can jogging back down and doing it again for many 5-10 reps)
Friday: 7-8 miles 8-9 min mile pace
Saturday:sea swim
Sunday: rest

That's what I had in mind to try and smash my mile and half

If you have any ideas advice that could help then please share thanks

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    That looks like a good plan to me. Some long runs to build your endurance so the mile and a half feels short, and some sprints. The other thing you might want to try is for some of the tuesdays or thursdays doing two 1.5 mile runs as fast as you can manage at a track. Actually train the distance you are working on. So that you can feel how hard to push without losing speed at the end.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would incorporate some shorter tempo runs.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    For what conditions? Assuming you've already got a good aerobic base, then adding one or two days of intervals under race conditions (I.e., if track, then track intervals...etc) would improve speed.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    One month? Don't see it happening.

You're trying to go from 6:20 to 6:00 miles. That's a lot. 6-12 weeks, maybe.

You're mileage is too low, and pace too slow for your fast runs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Navy PRT coming up??
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

If you have any ideas advice that could help then please share thanks

Monday: 7 - 8 miles at a 8 - 9 minute pace.
    Tuesday: 5 miles easy, 2 - 3 miles of fast intervals.
    Wednesday: Easy run: 8 miles (Bump this up slowly)
    Thursday: Hill sprints.
    Friday: 7-8 miles 8-9 min mile pace
    Saturday:sea swim
    Sunday: rest

You need more miles. The easy picks are to add some easy miles Tuesday before your sprints/intervals and to add in an easy longer run on Wednesday. A month probably won't be enough time to knock that down to your goal but keep trying. Take an extra rest day once every 5 - 6 weeks and fully recharge.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Navy PRT coming up??

What gave that away?

Saturday:sea swim :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Navy PRT coming up??

What gave that away?

i don't know a lot of 27 year olds looking to run 1.5 miles under 9:30 minutes. and it always seems to be with just a month to go.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Navy PRT coming up??

What gave that away?

i don't know a lot of 27 year olds looking to run 1.5 miles under 9:30 minutes. and it always seems to be with just a month to go.

In a wedding dress that's 2 sizes too small right? I guess you can but you might end up hurting yourself.

Real talk, a friend's son just finished basic training in the Army. He passed his PT portion but he's now on crutches from a fracture in his shin. Yep. Too much too soon.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit to running it faster? Presumably 9:30 is passing for a 27 y/o. Is there a benefit to getting a higher "score"?

I work on a Navy base and my jogging path is also where many men and women are either training for or running their official PRT. I always want to tell them not to use me as a pacer as I am not jogging at the minimum passing pace for anyone. I think they bend the rules a little though, I swear the turnaround point is not .75 miles from the start, and sooo many of them look like they'd be running too slow to pass...wonder how much "meh, close enough" comes from whoever is timing them. I'm still a ways away from even the minimum passing for my old age though, can't imagine trying to get up there in 1-2 months. It's in the back of my mind but I think I'll take a bit longer to get there.
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Benefits of becoming faster is then I don't get the pints in at the pub (: thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions I will come back and let you no how I did :) mind over matter