Awesome Weight Loss Tracker

Options
Hi everyone,

I saw this link in another room. I love it!

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/

Michele

Replies

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This calculator is very interesting, especially when you click expert mode.
    Thanks for posting
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. .. it calculated my calorie goal extremely high. I think it decided I wanted to double my weight before my birthday rather than losing weight! :D
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I really like that calculator. I found it by reading a post on MFP months ago and I've checked it often since then. I'm glad that you posted the link to remind me to go play with it again.

I use Expert Mode since it lets you see everything at once and you can play with the numbers more easily to see potential results.

Most online calculators overestimate how many calories I can eat for a given rate of weight loss. This calculator lets me set my activity at slightly below sedentary (I use 1.3) so that I can get projections that are more accurate for me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I find that it overestimates me by about 200 cals a day.

I have been maintaining a long time so know my real life numbers pretty well.

I do like playing with it though.

Cheers, h.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bumping so I can find it again.

I had the old version of this calculator bookmarked ages ago, but lost the bookmark.

This version of the tool is a bit jazzier, but it could do with a tutorial explaining how changing certain parameters/assumptions changes the end results.

EDIT:
    I found the source page that actually includes a video tutorial:
    http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/body-weight-planner/Pages/bwp.aspx

Edit (again):
    I just watched the video. Unfortunately, it doesn't go into the nitty gritty of the advanced settings, so, if you are interested, you'll have to just play around with those on your own to try to understand the ramifications of changing various settings.

It is a cool tool.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the program assumes that this is the first day of your diet so you'll drop water weight quickly in the first few days. For current weight, I put 3 pounds higher than my actual current weight to counteract that adjustment. It also replenishes your glycogen stores after the last day (which results in your weight bumping up a bit) so you may want to enter a goal weight that's a few pounds lower than your actual goal so that the rebound puts you at the weight you actually want to reach.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wow for me this is the first calculator that came close to what I think my real tdee is (based on my weight loss). It estimates higher than most other methods but for me it seems spot on whereas mfp and others are way too low. Thanks for sharing!