Fitness Vs. Food - What makes the real "Dent" in weight reduction?

Options
2»

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It's calories.
    Adding in exercise only increases the deficit (assuming you're already in one).

Fork putdowns and table pushaways work the best.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Calories. Food.

I could run 10 miles and eat enough pizza to wipe it out right after.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. General fitness and proper diet are inseparable. There is no "either or".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's calories in/out. That's why people who DON'T exercise still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Surfrider wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    An hour of exercise can be nullified by 5 minutes of eating. You tell me.

Truer words were never said!
    1 hour on the rowing machine is wiped out by 1 and a half snickers bars. Weight is lost in the kitchen.

Which is just so, sooooo sad because I love me some snickers bars. :/

Snickers Mini, 45 calories. Enjoy. One. Just one. Hide the bag.

Minis have the ingredient proportions all wrong! Too much chocolate vs everything else. Standard Snickers cut into thirds or something would taste better!

(Have we hijacked this into the Snickers thread yet?)

Per the OP: Definitely can save yourself a hell of a lot of gym time by working on willpower in the kitchen!

Milk chocolate isn't real chocolate anyway :p
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Not to stir up any more controversies, but... this is why some of the more strident fitness buffs here think it's unwise for gyms to serve pizza, donuts, cupcakes, and so forth at their facilities. Your typical American doesn't realize how their calorie-burning efforts can be undone in just a few seconds with the wrong food choices. People are so naïve about such things.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Not to stir up any more controversies, but... this is why some of the more strident fitness buffs here think it's unwise for gyms to serve pizza, donuts, cupcakes, and so forth at their facilities. Your typical American doesn't realize how their calorie-burning efforts can be undone in just a few seconds with the wrong food choices. People are so naïve about such things.

It's like dentists that give out candy. Job security. Ain't no one's fault but mine if I don't know enough to not buy cupcakes at the gym.

Yes. I said, "ain't." I feel sorry for it because no one uses it any more.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Calorie deficit
    'People underestimate calories consumed', 'overestimate calories burned'. We see it all the time, if they would have just rested on those laurels, or expanded on those points.
    'It's impossible to keep weight off without exercise' I mean...it's best for overall health and muscle tone, but impossible?
    'Carbs cause belly fat' Well crap, all this time I thought it was overeating, but since they only mentioned that once, and whole carbs that create insulin is mentioned continually, it must just be that PB&J I had this morning.
    'Control insulin to lose weight' If you're diabetic, it's good. '
    'Fat has no effect on insulin. But don't get me started' Wait...I thought this was an informational video?
    All in all, watch the part1:05-1:20, and you're good.
    Calorie deficit.

This! The title is okay and I was like "yeah, sure, fine" up until he launched into his anti-carb tirade. If he is saying exercise is pointless to weight loss I would argue quantity of carbs are equally as pointless. Actually, calorie for calorie low carb has been shown to be no more effective than low fat. Obviously satiety/health conditions would make a difference, but then you could easily argue exercise is important if you are looking at overall health and adherence rather than just calories.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can go pole for an hour, come home and have dinner and all the calories I burned during that workout have just been eaten back. If you want to lose weight, what's important is to make sure that you're eating less than you burn. Fitness is important for overall health, but calories are king for weight loss.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I ate enough to wipe out all but the last three miles of a marathon, yesterday. On top of my calorie allowance. Good thing I'm at a stage of running where I can make it fit without screwing around with my schedule. Just need to eat back a good bit less of my exercise calories for the rest of the work week.

*grumble*