Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Hell no.

True if it has nasty caraway seeds in it. They are so gross. Ruins a perfectly good loaf of bread.

I make all my own from my own rye sourdough starter. Heavy brick Danish style ryes are great with Nutella or herring.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Calorie Wise no. It tends to be denser so a slice has more calories. Taste Wise, for me, yes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Hell no.

True if it has nasty caraway seeds in it. They are so gross. Ruins a perfectly good loaf of bread.

I make all my own from my own rye sourdough starter. Heavy brick Danish style ryes are great with Nutella or herring.

I meant Hell yes. Oops.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Germany, so I love rye bread and often bake my own, but I wouldn't say it's 'better' than wholemeal or other wholegrain/multiseed breads.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat it. It is not significantly different nutritionally from other bread.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love it. That is all. It's texture agrees with me. Sometimes I like it heavy like a pumpernickel and other times light. I'll take all the nasty additives like caraway, molasses, cocoa, and coffee.

I take it with peanut butter or cream cheese.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Only if there's pickled herring. Or it's served buttered along side a pile of fresh caught beer battered lake perch (I'm a Midwest, Catholic girl. Can you tell?). Otherwise, no. Rye bread is not better than anything.
  • teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I used to live in Denmark and my girlfriend swore it was better than the English breads we'd eat in England. I still love it with pickled herring, yum.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    teamvic wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I used to live in Denmark and my girlfriend swore it was better than the English breads we'd eat in England. I still love it with pickled herring, yum.

I see what she might mean. I came to the UK in 1989 and at the time there was "white bread" and "brown bread" and that was it. It was all so bleugh and fluffy and it was like it was baked for people with dentures!! When I lived in London I used to go to the Harrod's bakery for a stupidly expensive loaf of "Bavarian Rye" because it was the only "proper bread" I could find. LOL
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I like rye and wholemeal bread better than white bread.

More fibre too which is probably a good thing.

But I don't think it really matters - eat whichever you prefer or find most filling. ( white bread least filling of all IME)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    It was all so bleugh and fluffy and it was like it was baked for people with dentures!!
    That's what mom calls "mush bread". It's awful, it shouldn't even be called bread, IMO.

My favorite is good hearty "Russian rye", toasted.