Helppppppppp?!

So I have been on a two shake, one meal a day diet for almost three weeks now. I don't seem to be losing any weight, & I don't know if I'm even dieting right. As a personal preference, I've cut out eating meat & fish during the week, so for the most part I'm just eating veggies, salads, fruits, whole wheat bread steamable meals that are quick and simple to make. I stick to eating meat on the weekends. I have a protein shake for breakfast, a slim fast shake fot lunch & a healthy dinner or if I'm working late at work I will have a healthy lunch and a shake for dinner. Within the past week I started incorporating snacks (string cheese, nuts, fruits, applesauce) to hold me over til my next meal. I get very discouraged easily & I'm at a point in my diet where I don't know what to do & what to & what not to eat. Do I continue to stick with what I'm doing for a little longer ? Do I change my diet a bit ? Suggestions please & thank you ! XO

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Many people get bloated with those shakes, which would mask weight loss. Moreover, the shakes are a gimmick. Put your stats in MFP, and eat food. You should be getting a considerable amount of protein everyday, so adding cheese and nuts is a good direction.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Have you been logging your calories and maintaining a deficit? You don't need to do a two shake, X amount of meals "diet" to lose weight. You need to consume less calories than you burn. Snacks like string cheese, nuts, and fruit really add up if they are not portioned properly (ideally weighed on a food scale) to fit your calorie goal to lose weight. You can also undo whatever deficit you have created during the weekend by over eating on the weekend.
  • cuhristalrena
    cuhristalrena Posts: 12 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Have you been logging your calories and maintaining a deficit? You don't need to do a two shake, X amount of meals "diet" to lose weight. You need to consume less calories than you burn. Snacks like string cheese, nuts, and fruit really add up if they are not portioned properly (ideally weighed on a food scale) to fit your calorie goal to lose weight. You can also undo whatever deficit you have created during the weekend by over eating on the weekend.

I have been logging my calories & food intake. Some days I'm right where I need to be in calories, some days it says i'm eating too less.
  • arditarose
    Give it more time, and if you have any doubt about your logging-tighten it up by using a food scale and checking to make sure you are logging all cooking oil, condiments, semi-solids, drinks, etc.
  • cuhristalrena

What would you suggest I do about breakfast ? Should I change from drinking protein shakes & fruit smoothies to having maybe oatmeal or yogurt? If I give up up the slimfast shakes, what would you say would be best for me to do the days I don't get off til 9 P.M? Eat a regular meal? I always get scared to eat since they say you shouldn't eat past 8.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    How are you calculating your calories? Are you weighing all of your food with a food scale?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

What would you suggest I do about breakfast ? Should I change from drinking protein shakes & fruit smoothies to having maybe oatmeal or yogurt? If I give up up the slimfast shakes, what would you say would be best for me to do the days I don't get off til 9 P.M? Eat a regular meal? I always get scared to eat since they say you shouldn't eat past 8.

Not eating after a certain hour is nonsense.
  • arditarose

If you are really asking me what's best...I believe a normal diet consisting of foods you enjoy, 80% whole nutrient dense foods, with room to moderate your favorite treats with remaining discretionary calories is best.

So to answer your question, I'd say eat what you like when you want. Just be sure of your portions. You may find you would like to moderate your diet as you go along. I would not eat oatmeal for breakfast, many people do though. It does not keep me full. You should find out what works best for you.
  • arditarose
    elphie754 wrote: »

Not eating after a certain hour is nonsense.

Also this. Meal timing does not matter. If you are generally in a deficit, why would it matter when you eat?

• cuhristalrena

If you are really asking me what's best...I believe a normal diet consisting of foods you enjoy, 80% whole nutrient dense foods, with room to moderate your favorite treats with remaining discretionary calories is best.

So to answer your question, I'd say eat what you like when you want. Just be sure of your portions. You may find you would like to moderate your diet as you go along. I would not eat oatmeal for breakfast, many people do though. It does not keep me full. You should find out what works best for you.

Thank you
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    I eat a fried egg on whole wheat toast with a thin slice of cheese every day. It keeps me full for 2-3 hours. I have five small meals a day. Try that approach maybe.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Personally I think slim fast shakes are not the way to go, unless you really enjoy them.

Can you have a boiled egg or two for breakfast and a piece of toast?

Or oatmeal?

Or have fat free Greek yogurt with a bananna and honey?

Are you eating too much sodium which makes you retain a lot of water?
  • cuhristalrena
    Personally I think slim fast shakes are not the way to go, unless you really enjoy them.

Can you have a boiled egg or two for breakfast and a piece of toast?

Or oatmeal?

Or have fat free Greek yogurt with a bananna and honey?

Are you eating too much sodium which makes you retain a lot of water?

That is something I could definitely try. Minus the banana, I'm allergic lol. Since my sodium goal is to stay under 2,300 a day, I usually stick to under that amount.
  • cuhristalrena
    spcmartinm wrote: »
    I eat a fried egg on whole wheat toast with a thin slice of cheese every day. It keeps me full for 2-3 hours. I have five small meals a day. Try that approach maybe.

Thank you
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Try different foods, log them and see what you like best and what keeps you satisfied the longest!

It may take a few times trying what works best for you, but you will figure it out!

:-)
  • marissavicario
    marissavicario Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Eat more greens, protein and some healthy fat. So, for breakfast, you could eat 2 soft boiled eggs on a bed of steamed greens (think things like kale, broccoli, asparagus, spinach) and a small slice of avocado. Skip the whole wheat bread and I tend to agree that the shakes don't promote weight loss. More real whole foods is the way to go. Best of luck to you!
  • cuhristalrena
    Try different foods, log them and see what you like best and what keeps you satisfied the longest!

It may take a few times trying what works best for you, but you will figure it out!

:-)

Thank you so much! (:
  • cuhristalrena
    Eat more greens, protein and some healthy fat. So, for breakfast, you could eat 2 soft boiled eggs on a bed of steamed greens (think things like kale, broccoli, asparagus, spinach) and a small slice of avocado. Skip the whole wheat bread and I tend to agree that the shakes don't promote weight loss. More real whole foods is the way to go. Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for the advice!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Do away with having shakes in the first place. Unless you're using shakes to help intake lean protein, you should just do calories in vs calories out and weigh and track everything. Shakes do nothing in teaching you about nutrition or eating in the real world - and by that, once you come off it. Just yourself a favour and get off those and do CICO.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    I guess the reason why this is puzzling is that if you are eating at a deficit you should be losing weight. period. I agree with the above poster and think that you need to find something that is sustainable for the rest of your life. If shakes are sustainable 2x a day, then by all means...go for it.

Are you sure you are logging the total amount of calories in each shake? Keeping in mind the # of servings per container (which I think would be 1 serving). Maybe you should open your page and diary so we can take a look. Don't get discouraged. It takes time and patience.