Lifting only

I'm trying to reduce my body fat percentage so I'm currently focusing on lifting. Loving it!
Should I feel guilty that I stopped doing cardio? I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I'll ultimately end up gaining back my weight. I KNOW that As long as I'm eating the right amount of calories I should be ok.
Please advise!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    This is a very good thread to reduce body fat
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
    Eating more calories than you burn will increase your body weight, regardless of the exercise type, or no exercise at all.
    Exercise is for fitness and health.
    Eating at a deficit ( Calories burned higher than calories ingested) will decrease body weight
    I lift weights too. I love it. I do minimal cardio. No guilt.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Nope, I started lifting more recently and I don't feel guilty on the days when I just lift and walk. I love cardio but if I didn't, I wouldn't feel guilty at all.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    You can cut weight with diet alone. Many severely obese people start their health journey by fixing up their diet, and wait many months or even years before setting foot in a gym. You cannot outrun your fork.

Assuming your calories are at maintenance or below, you will either maintain weight or cut weight. And since you are lifting, you are building muscles, so if your scale goes up, either you are eating too much or you are gaining muscle and losing fat.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Nope, just lift faster (reps upon reps with good form) and keep your diet in check
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    wisenbsd wrote: »
    Nope, just lift faster (reps upon reps with good form) and keep your diet in check
    You don't have to do multiple reps to lose body fat. This is a myth. Body fat % is directly related to someones energy usage and consumption (CICO) more than how they exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    ydyms wrote: »
    I'm trying to reduce my body fat percentage so I'm currently focusing on lifting. Loving it!
    Should I feel guilty that I stopped doing cardio? I feel like I'm doing something wrong and I'll ultimately end up gaining back my weight. I KNOW that As long as I'm eating the right amount of calories I should be ok.
    Please advise!

You answered your own question!
    Your "right amount of calories" will change of course with your change of exercise routine.

You will have sub-optimal fitness levels but no you shouldn't feel guilty about making a personal choice.

My personal choice involves doing both a lot of cardio and strength training. I want very high fitness levels (for cycling) so my strength training is very slightly compromised. Only slightly though - high fitness levels can actually help with strength training.
    My biggest compromise is that I dedicate more time to training than if I focussed on one or the other.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Any exercise you can get is good. For the best results, consider doing both cardio and strength training
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    You can control the weight with diet and lifting. Some cardio is good for your health and can also help your lifting. Here's a pretty nice article explaining:
    http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/long-duration-low-intensity-cardio/

Best of luck.
  • 6AMGANG
    6AMGANG Posts: 14 Member
    food - its that simple. Eat less then your daily allowance and you will lose weight/bf% - Eat more and you will gain. Gym is a bonus
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am kind of in the same boat at the moment and I feel kind of guilty too. I had a baby not long ago and right now I only have time to get a workout in maybe 3x per week, 20-30 min and I chose to lift on those days, while I do love cardio and I know how beneficial it is, I don't have time to do it (with the exception of a walk here and there) also because I am exclusively breastfeeding the intense cardio I like is a little hard on my upper body. Point is, I know the physical results I want won't come from doing cardio over lifting so I choose to lift
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    "Guilt" seems to be a common theme on the boards today. There are a couple of food-related guilt threads as well. I know it's just a word, and as everyone else has already mentioned your calorie intake is the most important.

Personally, I burned myself out on cardio and gave it up completely a while back and switched to lifting only. I feel like I've gained so much more time back each day! And I feel like I'm in better shape.

Occasionally I miss those long, intense, sweaty workouts and I'll hop on the treadmill or step mill with the intention of going for 45 - 60 min., but I have yet to make it past 30 min. I just don't enjoy it anymore.

TL;DR: Do cardio if you enjoy it; don't do it if you don't enjoy it and just keep a close watch on your calorie intake.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I completely cut out cardio in maintenance while I lifted. I LOVED what it did for my physique. I had to control my food carefully and ultimately could eat a LITTLE less than I would have with cardio-but not really that much since I wasn't consistent with it and doing much anymore. Really it was just my food logging that had to be very accurate since I was just doing it to pad any mistakes.

Looking back I wish I had kept a little just for heart health. I do think that aerobic exercise can enhance your lifting routine as well.