Exciting Recipes for salads and vegetables

Options
DMicheleC
DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
Just wondered if anyone had any good recipes for some exciting salads or vegetables to serve with meat, chicken and fish. I am really starting to get bored with what I am eating, and I don't want to start eating the wrong food. I am doing well with loosing the weight and the exercise is going great and I'm loving it, but the food is just so boring. I am diabetic also so I have to watch my sugar levels, carbs and my salt, so I do have some restrictions also. Please help before I get so bored with my food, I turn to foods that really don't help me.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a salad eater so most of my salads tend to be bean or quinoa salads.

I mix cooked dried beans (I use canned), drained and rinsed, with chopped crunchy vegetables. I just use whatever I have on hand at the time - broccoli, carrots, celery, onions, radishes, peppers, turnips, zucchini, etc., then toss with a vinaigrette dressing. I make my own dressings with a variety of vinegars, hot sauces, mustards, and/or lemon/lime juice, spices and olive oil. But a bottled dressing would work just as well.

For the quinoa salad it's pretty much the same except I use cooked, cooled quinoa (red or white) and less beans.

But why not just serve some steamed, sautéed, roasted or stir fried vegetables if you are getting bored with salads? Cooked vegetables are tasty and healthy too.
  • DMicheleC
    Options
    Thanks, I really like the idea of adding beans to my salads and I haven't tried quinoa yet, but I have heard some good things about it from other diabetics. You have been a great help, thanks again. I'm feeling much more excited about my dinner today and lunch tomorrow.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I had tried quinoa twice before and didn't like it, but my friend brought a quinoa salad for dinner the other night and now I'm OBSESSED with it. It was very simple, though, so not sure why I didn't like it before. Just quinoa, a bit of bruschetta sauce, cucumbers, tomatos and a few dashes of hot sauce. YUM.

I like salads without lettuce. Cucumbers, tomatos and some feta (or bocconcini) with a bit of balsamic vinegar drizzled overtop.

Spinach with beets and goat cheese.

Anything with avocado.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been making a new salad a lot lately and I love it:

Baby spinach/arugula blend
    chopped cucumbers
    chopped bell pepper (doesn't matter what color)
    a little bit of chopped red onion (I chopped all the veggies and put in a ziplock bag to save time for future salads. Lasts all week.)
    goat cheese
    cooked beets
    slivered almonds
    homemade dressing (EVOO, balsamic, dijon mustard, minced garlic or garlic powder, pinch of brown sugar, salt and pepper)

I've also been experimenting with bean salads. I made this the other day and it was delicious:
    canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
    fresh parsley
    chopped cucumber
    chopped grape tomatoes
    feta cheese
    bottled light greek dressing
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lettuce (or baby spinach) + grapes + mushrooms + cucumber + green onion.

Wash and slice mushrooms (I usually cut them first in half and then slice), sprinkle with salt and let stand for about 15 min (this way they will soften a little). Tear lettuce in piece, cut grapes in halves or quarters, chop green onion. Mix everything together. Season with salt, dill (optional), red or white wine vinegar, olive oil and a little bit of lemon juice.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Just a note about the quinoa - make sure you rinse it thoroughly to get the bitter coating off before you cook it. I use 2 mesh strainers together cause those little buggers want to fall right through the little holes.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Just a note about the quinoa - make sure you rinse it thoroughly to get the bitter coating off before you cook it. I use 2 mesh strainers together cause those little buggers want to fall right through the little holes.

I buy the pre-rinsed quinoa. The price is the same.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My typical salad includes:

spinach
    tomatoes
    onion
    red and green bell peppers
    black beans
    chickpeas
    carrots
    some type of cheese
    sometimes chicken and/or avocado
    olive oil and red wine vinegar
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also make a bean salad. Here's the basic recipe I use. Mine is usually a little different from this.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Bean-Salad/
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I had tried quinoa twice before and didn't like it, but my friend brought a quinoa salad for dinner the other night and now I'm OBSESSED with it.

I sometimes make quinoa as a warm side dish because my husband likes it, but if it were only me I'd only eat it cold in a salad.

OP, if you don't like or can't find quinoa other grains work well in a salad too - kasha, bulgar wheat, brown/wild rice, whole wheat pasta or couscous, wheat berries, etc.

Oh, bulgar wheat made me think of tabouleh. Another favorite salad that is super easy to make. Bulgar wheat, chopped parsley, onions, cucumber and tomato dressed simply with olive oil and lemon juice. You don't even need to cook the bulgar, just cover with water and let stand for about 30 min and it's ready.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really like oven-baked cherry tomatoes. Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in a small baking dish, put in 400 grams of cherry tomatoes (for 2 servings), toss the tomatoes around in the olive oil so they're coated. Add some italian herbs, garlic powder and a little bit of salt and bake at 180 C for about 20-25 mins. The tomatoes should be soft and the skin should be cracked, but they should still be firm enough to pick them up without them falling apart completely. They're delicious and sweet and very good for you as well :flowerforyou:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Tomato and cucumber salad with a light mustard vinegrette (or whatever light dressing you like to make) is a standard in my house. I also love my Oma's recipe for German cucumber salad:
    5med cucumbers peeled and sliced ultra thin (see through) you can use a mandolin to achieve this.
    1 tsp. salt

let this sit for an hour or two in the fridge then squeeze out some of the moisture not quite all of it
    add 1TBSP black pepper
    1TBSP canola oil
    6TBSP white vinegar
    and 1TBSP light sour cream

mix it all up, its very watery looking...but yum! Pairs great with rice and chicken or whatever you have.

It makes 4 3/4 cup servings at
    67 calories
    6 carbs
    4 fat
    2 protein
    but 590 sodium (well...can't be too perfect)

:flowerforyou:
  • BeeH79
    BeeH79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love a variety of textures in my salads. Water Cress is divine along with raw beetroot grated and also grated carrot adds a bit of sweetness. Green beans, raw peas, celery, sweet corn, spring onion, raisins nom nom nom!!!! Toss it all in a lovely light dressing and munch!!!
  • DMicheleC
    Options
    Well you guys have definately given me some yummy ideas, I don't thinks I'll be going to the dark side now. I can't wait to go shopping this weekend, thanks so much, you have saved me going down the wrong road! You are great! :flowerforyou:
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    224.5 per serve serves 4 people

ingredients
    1L (4 cups) water
    1 brown onion, halved
    2 single chicken breast fillets
    1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
    150g snow peas, trimmed, thinly sliced
    1 red capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
    1/2 wombok (Chinese cabbage),hard core removed, finely shredded
    3 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
    1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
    2 tbs fresh lime juice
    1 tbs fish sauce
    2 tsp brown sugar
    1 fresh red chilli, deseeded, chopped
    instructions
    Step 1
    Place water, onion and chicken in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until cooked. Drain chicken and discard onion.

Step 2
    Place carrot and snow peas in a bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 minute or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water.

Step 3
    Shred chicken. Place chicken, carrot, snow peas, capsicum, wombok, shallot and coriander in a bowl. Combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chilli in a jar. Pour over salad and combine. Divide among serving bowls to serve.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am lazy with salad making so I incorporate greens during the day instead
    For example wrapping a banana in a lettuce leaf,
    Putting dates (you can use peanut butter) on a celery log.
    Making a bean type tomato stew and mixing baby spinach in at the last minute so its just wilted
    Adding greens to my smoothies

I find that mixing HUMMUS into a leafy salad with cherry tomatoes is delicious and satisfying as a meal of its own
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Some lovely and yummy idea's mentioned here...
    Keep in mind on days you need more carbs or are working out that roasted chickpeas and roasted butternut squash are great ways to make a salad more filling..
    Plus if you have calories to use up throw on dried fruit/walnuts and I love sun-dried tomatoes and olives for a little 'pow' and flavour...
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I LOVE green beans prepared nearly any way, but this is a great way when I need to mix things up.

Roasted Green Beans & Red Peppers

Ingredients:
    3/4 pd. green beans, trimmed (can also use frozen green beans, I love Trader Joe's french green beans)
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
    1 T extra virgin olive oil
    Salt, pepper and garlic to taste

To Make:
    1. Toss green beans and peppers with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
    2. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
    3. Roast at 500 degrees for 10 minutes until browned and tender, turning once halfway through cooking.