Carbs in fruit

Options
So I started this low carb diet, and I need to stay below 77g of carbs. Considering how easily macros pile up is fruit out of d question? Like 1 apple has 19g and 1 orange 21g and a banana a whopping 30g. Im confused

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Fruits are full of sugars and hence carbs. you won't be able to eat many on a low carb diet. I'm not a fan.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Banana is a bad choice, low carers go for berries and just get a smaller apple.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to choose between fruit and low carb. What is most important to you?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet, you increase the fats and oils: avocado, full fat salad dressing, butter, bacon, dark meat chicken, mayo, cheese, sliced almonds, chia seeds.
  • aktarx
    aktarx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone, so its best to steer away from fruit until I loose the weight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    aktarx wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone, so its best to steer away from fruit until I loose the weight.

If you think a lifestyle of restricting fruit is healthy and sustainable for you...
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

This does not make sense to me. Why not just eat in a calorie deficit so you don't have to steer clear of anything?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you think a lifestyle of restricting fruit is healthy and sustainable for you...

This^

Losing weight is just the first step. Lifestyle changes are what helps you maintain the weight you lost. What kind of changes can you make now, that help you with BOTH steps? If restricting carbs is a forever thing, carry on.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Also steer clear of meats, fatty foods, fast food, refined sugar, bread, GMO crops, milk (It's for baby cows), almond milk (it's for baby almonds), yogurt, .... fill in the blank.

You can find a diet that restricts pretty much anything you can think of. You could of course just restrict calories and not cut out any food group. That's much easier.
  • hornseagirl
    hornseagirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    for fruit I have berries like strawberries etc as they have far less carbs
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    almond milk (it's for baby almonds)

Poor baby almonds!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Low carb isn't essential for weight loss. A calorie deficit is all that is needed for successful weight loss.

<- 80lbs down, and not low carb.

Also, what will happen once you add fruit and carbs back into your 'diet' (since you're doing it for weight loss)? Most low carbers are in it for the long haul.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I would only do low carb if I had a medical condition that might respond to it, like PCOS. Otherwise, why bother?

Berries are low carb fruits.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Best to eat the things while you are losing that you intend to eat when you are maintaining IMHO.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

Best to eat the things while you are losing that you intend to eat when you are maintaining IMHO.

This ^ . I rarely eat fruit - don't like sweet things really - but I eat a whole heap of veg daily. You don't have to eat Fruit to be healthy but it's best just to balance out what you like eating and with a CICO diet.