Newbie--Day 2

Options
Hello there myfitnesspals! Today is day 2 using the app. I was previously doing Weight Watchers but decided to switch (this is free and I love the way it breaks down all of your food choices). I have a sedentary office job, a long commute to work, and 2 kiddos at home. Sticking to a plan and finding time to workout has been tough, but I have made some very positive changes in the last couple months. I bought a FITBIT and have been committed to walking at lunch and taking the stairs every day. The scale hasn't been moving, so that's where I will need some help! I have about 25-30 pounds to lose...

Replies

• g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey there. :)

Congratulations on getting started on a new way of life! It's hard at first, but I promise you that once you get the scale moving you'll get addicted to seeing those numbers drop and it will get easier every single day!

First of all, I wanted to talk to you about the scale not moving. I failed the first time I was trying to lose 20+ pounds, I had the same issue. What it turned out to be, after all, is that I was not drinking enough water. You're supposed to drink a lot of it a day. Measure of thumb? If you aren't going to the bathroom enough to almost be annoying, you aren't drinking enough water! I swear to you it helps flush that weight out. Also, any time you eat foods rich in sodium, the scale will lie to you. It's better (to me) to weigh once a week on the same day early in the morning. Weighing every day is great for some people, but our bodies change so much constantly that it can also be disheartening.

My Fitbit has helped me SO much. Make sure you link it to the MyFitnessPal app! I set my goal for 7,000 steps a day. I also have two kids, so when they come home from school and finish homework we go for a walk around the complex. I let them ride bikes or their scooters, and I just walk quickly with them and the steps fly by!

If you bite it, write it! Try to form a habit of making sure you track that food! It helps!

I wish you the best!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Welcome! well....jump into the program. setup your MFP profile stuff and get your calorie intake goal. Link your Fitbit to MFP. then buy a scale and do your best to weigh your food...if not always, for a couple months to get your eyes sorted on what volumes of foods equal the calories you wish to eat. (scale is key, don't trust labels..they aren't always correct). So then log log log your food and drinks and condiments and stay within your calorie goal for weightloss. I'd recommend not eating your exercise calories at first if you can help from doing so. if your starving, eat back 50% or less to be safe your at a deficit.

best wishes.