STRENGTH TRAINING AND CALORIE BURN

Options
Can anyone help! Is there a way to figure out how many calories you are burning when using the machines at the gym? I work on arms and abs every other day and then legs and abs on the opposite days. I work up a sweat using them, so I'm pretty sure I am burning some sort of calories.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sweating has very little to do with calorie burn.
    Feeling hard has very little to do with calorie burn.

Just enter the duration (under the cardio section of your diary) and you will get a rough estimate based on METS.
    There's no practical way to be accurate for strength training but it's not a high calorie burner anyway (that's not the reason for doing it of course).
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. The thing is that cardio burns calories while doing that exercise while weight training continues to burn calories afterwards, rebuilding muscle fibers. My thought is to use a heart rate monitor to see the percentage of increase while lifting. Look in the Store section here and see what will be compatible with MFP, like Garmin.
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I always do my strength after cardio
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    One, weightlifting, regardless or whether free weights or machines, doesn't burn all that much in the way of calories. I enter my lifting sessions under "cardio" "weightlifting" and the calorie burn of "1".

Two, a HRM is set up and calibrated for steady state cardio, not weight lifting. You'll not get an accurate calorie burn from lifting weights with a HRM.

Three, the amount of "after burn" from lifting weights is minimal.

Many, many topics on this around here with links to the information (research papers, journal articles, etc.)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I do not log strength training, as there is no accurate way to do so.

Exercise for health, calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You probably want to do your strength training first because form is important there, whereas not so important for cardio.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont log my strength training, its just part of my daily activity calories.
  • sijomial
    Options
    @SugarDarlin1959
    The thing is that cardio burns calories while doing that exercise while weight training continues to burn calories afterwards, rebuilding muscle fibers.
    Nope. Both strength and cardio have an EPOC effect - and it's so small it's insignicant.
    My thought is to use a heart rate monitor to see the percentage of increase while lifting.
    It would have to be a very sophisticated unit with specific mode for strength training. The vast majority of HRMs will give a hugely inflated number.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    One, weightlifting, regardless or whether free weights or machines, doesn't burn all that much in the way of calories. I enter my lifting sessions under "cardio" "weightlifting" and the calorie burn of "1".

Two, a HRM is set up and calibrated for steady state cardio, not weight lifting. You'll not get an accurate calorie burn from lifting weights with a HRM.

Three, the amount of "after burn" from lifting weights is minimal.

Many, many topics on this around here with links to the information (research papers, journal articles, etc.)

Yep to this!!! +1
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. I have tried to use heart rate monitors during lifting sessions and it gives me crazy numbers. I figure an hour of heavy lifting burns roughly 300-400 calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. I have tried to use heart rate monitors during lifting sessions and it gives me crazy numbers. I figure an hour of heavy lifting burns roughly 300-400 calories.

Which is a perfectly fine number. Not sure why so many people think it's a negative to say that.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Which is a perfectly fine number. Not sure why so many people think it's a negative to say that.

True dat! Seems people encourage food logging of tiny amounts (despite them also being estimates) but another estimate of 200/300/400 calories expended gets frowned on.
    If you are calorie counting, to me, it makes sense to have stab at both sides of the equation.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

You probably want to do your strength training first because form is important there, whereas not so important for cardio.

Not quite true. Bad form when running can just add easily lead to injury (chronic or acute) and decreased performance.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

According to this list which is what comes up if you Google this question (just sayin') you'd have to either be on the larger (read: heavier/taller) side of 'weight lifting - general' , or fall into the 'weight lifting - vigorous' category to burn 300-400 calories an hour lifting. Which may be true for some people but not me. Womp womp. (Its all relative though I suppose.) Anyway, I still log it with the 'strength training' entry under cardio even though its only 82 calories for 30 minutes.

Whenever I see people questioning how many calories strength training burns my initially reaction is, "Not as many as you want it to." :sweat:
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

According to this list which is what comes up if you Google this question (just sayin') you'd have to either be on the larger (read: heavier/taller) side of 'weight lifting - general' , or fall into the 'weight lifting - vigorous' category to burn 300-400 calories an hour lifting. Which may be true for some people but not me. Womp womp. (Its all relative though I suppose.) Anyway, I still log it with the 'strength training' entry under cardio even though its only 82 calories for 30 minutes.

Whenever I see people questioning how many calories strength training burns my initially reaction is, "Not as many as you want it to." :sweat:

I should clarify. I weight 230 pounds and am pulling some heavy weight ( 385 DL, 315 Squat and 255 bench for reps). In general if you goal is to be a caloric deficit any calories that you burn from weight training that are not logged are like a bonus towards your goal. ( assuming you are hitting your deficit goal)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

I should clarify. I weight 230 pounds and am pulling some heavy weight ( 385 DL, 315 Squat and 255 bench for reps). In general if you goal is to be a caloric deficit any calories that you burn from weight training that are not logged are like a bonus towards your goal. ( assuming you are hitting your deficit goal)

Sorry @toughmudderMN, I didn't mean to imply you weren't getting those burns. Actually by posting your stats it drives home the point that you have to be putting in work to get those kinds of calorie burns. (And in reality, not everyone is. Average Joe off the street comes in to the gym, pushes some plates around on the Universal for awhile and wants to say he burned 400 calories, but its probably not true.) So it's good to see the chart, and be realistic.

• leticiafriend86
    leticiafriend86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to track my calorie burn since it has a heart rate monitor on it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to track my calorie burn since it has a heart rate monitor on it.

Heart rate monitors were not designed to calculate calorie burn for strength training and non steady state cardio.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    An AHA moment: so maybe that's why I never lose any weight because I keep eating up those so-called strength training calories.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I had to Google, "how many calories would a 150 pound, 30-year-old woman burn weight lifting," to get a number. It said 200 calories an hour for weight lifting and the number seemed to be true for me.