Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2,000 workout could be sabotaging my weight loss

zrad1
zrad1 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I love to play table tennis. I play once a week for about three hours. My Polar heart rate monitor (accurately calibrated) is showing me I burn on average about 600-650 calories per hour when I play. I consistently burn at least 1,800 calories when I play. I am a USATT rated player, so I play seriously. My dally calorie goal is 2,070 calories. I don't know how much to eat on the day I play table tennis because I am burning so many calories. I am 56, 6'1.5", 258 lbs. Any educated advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Many people add back 50% of "burned" calories. It depends on your goal though
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Why do you think that burning a lot of calories is 'sabotaging' your weight loss?
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    It would depend on your goal. Start at eating back half, and assess after a few weeks. Losing too fast? Eat back 75%. Not losing enough? Eat back less. Losing at expected rate? Stay at 50%. Don't wanna lose weight? Keep increasing the percentage you eat back until you maintain.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I'm unsure of your ultimate goal - Do you want to lose weight to improve at your sport or for some other reason?

Anyway: Assuming that your weight is currently stable (otherwise you wouldn't be asking if calorific burn is sabotaging weight loss) you have found your maintenance level - drop 10% cals from that and the weight loss will start.