MACROS

Options
Ok I cant get this MACROS Stuff I get the concept and how to do it. But I can never get the correct amount of all areas. is it better to stay below? or better to go over in other areas to get closer to my macros.

By this I mean if I am way low on protein but under my calories and over in carbs is it better to get more carbs to get more protein or should I just stay under?

My goal is to lose fat.

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    http://www.iifym.com/

Go there, use that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use my protein and fat goals as minimums. I make sure to reach those, and I don't worry if I go over on one or both. Carbs can fall where they will after that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can lose fat no matter where your macros land. Eating sufficient protein can help you retain the muscle mass that you have though. Fats are important for hormonal balance and going too low on them can affect your menstrual cycle, libido, etc. I view both of those macros as minimums, meaning that I aim to reach them and if I go over them I am A-okay with it. I, personally, aim for .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight and .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight. There's a lot written on the subject of just what is enough protein and I've determined that I feel good about using that .8 gram figure.

After I hit my minimum fat and protein, I fill in the rest with whatever I want--carbs, or more fat or protein.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the assistance. I will check out http://www.iifym.com/ when I have more time.

My main issue is that when I get enough Protein I go Way over on my fat and usually never get close to my Carbs.

Another question I have is, I have my Fitbit linked and it adds more calories and macros without me wanting it to. Should I un-sync it? any suggestions?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I first started I tried to get close (or over) my protein and in the ballpark of the other two, but my main thing was getting close to my calorie goal (without going over). If I noticed I was way under protein too late to do anything about it without going over calories, I looked over my diary to see what I'd could have done differently and learned from it. If I was under protein and calories I'd eat a little something with protein (and didn't worry about going over fat or carbs). As I got used to it I ended up usually just hitting pretty close to my macros because I'd adjusted and it was how I normally ate, although I didn't (and still don't) care if I was up on carbs or fat on any particular day, so long as the calories were right. I think getting minimum protein is important when losing weight (for muscle maintenance), and after that overall food choice. (Which should include healthy fats, as well as vegetables, and of course the foods you especially like and find work for you.)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I try to always hit my protein sometimes I go over. I try to stay at or under my fat and my carbs fluctuate I'm usually under some. Try some leaner foods. What are your macros at?
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Right now My MACROS are at Carbs 25% 118g, Protein 35% 165g, and fat 40% 84g. I had it at higher protein but was always going over on fat so I switched it from 35% to the 40% that its at now.