Compression Fracture and Swimming

Options
cc3833
cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
So about two weeks ago I was bucked off my horse. I was diagnosed with an L3 compression fracture. I went to the doctors and I have to wear a back brace for at least 6 weeks. I asked the neurosurgeon what exercises I could do (I was pretty active when it happened, riding 5-6 days a week and lifting/cardio 2-3 days a week). He said I am allowed to swim to my hearts content. I'm very lucky to have access to a pool through school and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what type of swimming exercises I could do while I am injured. He didn't really give me any specifics when I asked. But from what I've read online with this type of injury swimming 30 minutes 3 times a week is what is recommended. I've read that backstroke is the best. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar injury and had any more advice for me. I'm also starting to log and be very strict about my calorie intake (1200 cal a day) which is going to be a big part of where my weight loss comes from.

Replies

• thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it compares to your injury, but I had a spinal fusion done.
    I started out very slowly, doing backstroke and freestyle, often just using my arms and dragging my legs. Flip turns were a big no no and breast stroke put my back at a painful angle.
    Best of luck.on your recovery.
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response! Yeah thats what I've been reading that backstroke is the best. It also said walking in the pool is good so long as the water is at the middle of my chest or higher. I'm definitely going to start slowly. Just 10-15 minutes at first and see how I feel the next day, I'm trying to get back to riding so I don't want to injure myself again!