PCOS and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• MegSchuy16
    MegSchuy16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was around 15 years old... I didn't start experiencing the weight gain symptoms until I was around 18-19 years old. Since then, it's been a battle with weight loss and keeping my hormones in balance.

I could definitely use the motivation since I know weight loss will help with this syndrome... I am also looking to lose weight because I have been responsive to meds and might try to have kids soon, but I want to be back down to a good weight before my husband and I try. There was a time in my life when I didn't have any periods for 2 yrs. I always felt bloated and was in pain. Now I've found the right meds and I'm hoping that being on them will allow me to lose weight. I always was able to lose about 10lbs and then would fall off the wagon and gain 15lbs back. It was annoying. Now I am 216.4lbs, 5'6", looking to lose 65lbs and get back to my normal weight of 150lbs.

Feel free to add me! You're definitely not alone!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi! After exercising and eating right for over a year with no results, I am close to giving up. I have highly irregular periods too.
    I just had my ultrasound scan on Monday. Initially the sonographer said I have cysts on my ovaries, but I will have to wait until the doctor can determine whether I have PCOS or not. I have all the signs and symptoms of it, so I am hoping this doctor will tell me that it's definite in a couple of weeks time.
    I'm looking to lose about 50lbs, and so far I have only lost 3lbs due to food poisoning last week :/
    Best of luck to everyone! This is highly frustrating.
  • mommybehealthy
    mommybehealthy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @Redfoxwhiskers you are definitely not alone. For me, Metformin helps because it is regulating my insulin, which helps me lose weight. I was stupid, and stopped taking it 8 months back, and now am paying the price because even with calorie restricting, I wasn't losing the weight I should. I've been back on it for over a week now, and I'm now losing again. @mariawpqe has some great input as well. Birth control pills are a great options to help regulate your cycles. I've found that a combination of Metformin and birth control, in addition to limiting carbs has been the best combo for me. My doctor kept me on Metformin through my second pregnancy because he said staying on it through the 12th week would cut risk of miscarriage for someone who is Insulin resistant. You may want to ask your doctor about checking your insulin levels to see if they are high.

Hi @MeganSchuyler16 and welcome!! You are definitely not alone! You can definitely do this and we are all here to support you! I had 2 kids after my PCOS diagnosis, so you can definitely do it. My first was conceived after getting off of Birth Control, and my second I was on Metformin, but not Birth Control. Everyone is different, but it is possible. Best of luck!!!

@Dead_Darling I am totally with you!! I have days of complete and total frustration! sometimes those days turn into weeks, months, etc. It's a roller coaster for sure! This time around, I decided to do everything so differently than I have in the past. It's been very difficult, but now that I've got the ball rolling, I'm more determined. You've got this!!!

P.S. I started blogging last year in hopes to keep myself accountable. You can find it online by searching for Mommy, Be Healthy. I'm going to be doing a post about my PCOS frustrations soon. :(
  • Juacline
    Juacline Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was put on birth control pills at 14 after having a cyst rupture and no one realized I had PCOS because the pills covered up the symptoms. I was only diagnosed as a Freshman in college. When I went to the Doctor's office, he took me off the pill to see what would happen. He didn't believe I had it because I didn't have bad acne and wasn't hairy. Low and behold I had the free testosterone levels of twice the normal woman. There was also a note on my ultrasound at 14 that I had pearls on my ovaries that no one told me about. I am in grad school and have started a 1200-calorie diet. I have always eaten better than my peers but just kept gaining. I am also always hungry which does not help. I read a bunch of studies that have said we have a resting metabolism of 1150-1450. I am making an appointment soon to have mine tested at our health center.

Concerning medications, I am currently on extended release Metformin and Cryselle (birth control pill). I have been on lots of different medications that worked for a while (no sickness) but after a year or two I couldn't keep them down (Metformin, then Glumetza, then Glucovance). FYI, the Glucovance didn't make me vomit but when I tried to be active, it gave me hypoglycemia. I was on Spironolactone but because it is a diuretic, I had digestive issues. I might try to get back on it to see if it helps now that my diet isn't college food. Before Cryselle, I was on Yaz because it has a similar chemical compound to Spironolactone and since I was going to take it separately, I didn't need the extra dosage. Vitamin wise, I've been taking women's gummies but realized I need more. I suggest that all of ya'll get your vitamin D levels checked. I had mine done and they were the lowest she had seen even though I was talking supplements. I found out it might be genetic (my mom took 5,000 iu D3 everyday for months and only got up to the line), or related to PCOS (according to lots of googling). I now take 5,000 iu D3 a day (to be checked soon), and fish oil supplements (which is supposed to be good for us). I will tell you the best thing you can do is take your Metformin. It stabilized by weight at least.

One thing that is driving me crazy is I can't find a consensus on what kind of diet to eat. My endocrinologist didn't know besides telling me that instead of having 4-6 servings of carbs a day, I should have 4. I have seen lots of contrary advice: eat lots of beans, eat no beans, vegetarian is best, no, try Atkins. High dairy, no dairy, eat nuts, don't eat nuts. I got this app to give me more accountability and to help me keep track of all of my nutrients and macros. I just need someone to tell me the right numbers to type in and I will be good to go. Hopefully, ya'll all have some good advice for me.

You now know everything I do after all of these years.
  • Agibelle
    Agibelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My story is almost the same as yours, but in addition to PCOS I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Last year, I stopped all my meds without consulting with my doctor. I started long and hard path with natural medicine, semi vegetarian/vegan diet, acupuncture, colonics and massages. I started taking supplements that help me with controlling my blood sugar and cravings. I'm short 5'0" maybe even 4'11", in my 30'. It is possible to control this disease with a good diet and persistence.
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @Juacline , welcome and thanks for sharing your story! Everyone is different on how their body responds to meds as well as foods, even with PCOS. One thing that has helped me tremendously is changing my diet a complete 180. @Agibelle has a great point , in my opinion, that you can control this disease with a good diet and persistence. I spent so many years comparing myself to other people and why I couldn't eat as much as the next person, and why I couldn't just be "normal", but for me, completely cutting out gluten (and now I'm working on dairy) was the first step for me. I also eat a mostly vegetarian diet with lots of vegetables.
    I stopped taking my Metformin 8 months back because of the stomach upset and struggled to lose close to 30 lbs (that's since Jan of 2015) , but since adding it back now 2 weeks ago, the weight is moving again. I haven't changed anything other than adding the Metformin back. I too have taken Spironolactone, and Yaz in the past (not at the same time) . Both of which I've stopped

Have you tried the Metformin on a small dose and gradually increase? I found that after about 2 weeks of doing this, the stomach issues have resided for me.

I would definitely recommend decreasing your carb intake. Eat lots of vegetables and healthy fats. My doctor recommended the "South Beach Diet" and said lots of people do well on it with PCOS. For me, I consulted a personal trainer and nutritionist to help determine my resting metabolic rate, and I eat calories based on that. My RMR is in the 1600 range, so I eat around 1200-1300 calories a day. Essentially creating a deficit of at least 300 every day. I also aim to work out 5-6 days a week as well and burning an extra 500 calories a day (doesn't always happen, but I try). Best of luck to you, I know others will have good input for you!

@Agibelle congrats on taking the leap of faith in natural meds! I'm so happy to hear that it's working for you! keep us posted on your progress :)
  • Juacline
    Juacline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @mommybehealthy I am actually on Metformin extended release. I wanted everyone to know that there are other variations of metformin out there because it is so important to take. I gained 30 pounds when I stopped. I had to stop regular metformin (not extended release) and glumetza because I was throwing up the pills the next day. I couldn't physically keep them down (even 24 hours later they were still in my stomach), but this strangely happened after a year or two on each of those medicines. Some people have months of stomach upset that just won't get better so it might be worth it to look into the other varieties of metformin I've mentioned.
  • aceness123
    aceness123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone ! I'm really happy to see this thread ! I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 15, my weight was mostly fine but after I hit 18 it just started going up and not going down like at all. I plan on losing 45 lbs (hopefully)

After lots of research I really recommend the AIP diet for people like me who have auto immune disorders and also for people with food sensitivities and allergies (personally ive got a long list). You can take my word that it really helps. My sister is gluten intolerant and also suffers from auto immune disorders. I have auto immune disorders as well as arthritis,glaucoma, pcos and a few other things I won't mention cause the list is long haha. she and I did the change together and it helped to reduce inflammation in our body as well as reduce our migranes (which was a godsend). Also our food sensitivities are not nearly as intense for the most part although I can safely say that it made my soy allergy much more apparent and fast reacting. As for my sister her body constantly has hives and she is always itchy and her symptoms never really go away. After this diet change her symptoms reduced significantly.

If anyone wants to give it a try or ask any questions about actually being on the diet feel free to ask!

Oh I do have one question for anyone willing to answer .. my doctor recommended metformin, but she also said there was no harm if I dont take it. So now im confused should I take the pills or should I just wait until I need them? And if so.. when do I know if I need them ?
  • MegSchuy16
    Options
    aceness123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone ! I'm really happy to see this thread ! I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 15, my weight was mostly fine but after I hit 18 it just started going up and not going down like at all. I plan on losing 45 lbs (hopefully)

After lots of research I really recommend the AIP diet for people like me who have food sensitivity or allergies and also to people that have auto immune disorders. You can take my word that it really helps. My sister is gluten intolerant and also suffers from auto immune disorders , she and I did the change together and it helped to reduce inflammation in our body as well as reduce our migranes (which was a godsend).

Oh I do have one question for anyone willing to answer .. my doctor recommended metformin, but she also said there was no harm if I dont take it. So now im confused should I take the pills or should I just wait until I need them? And if so.. when do I know if I need them ?

I was on Metformin, but it didn't do anything. It's different for each person I suppose, but I found a great doctor who told me metformin wasn't even being used anymore for PCOS and put me on birth control instead. Since then I've finally started having periods regularly and have been experiencing less pain as well.
  • aceness123
    aceness123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @MeganSchuyler16 thanks for the response :smiley: I guess I'll have to try out the birth control then since less pain is always a winner in my book haha
  • Kassi_Lynn
    Kassi_Lynn Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have pcos my surgeon who did my sleeve gastrectomy. Said people with pcos have to work twice as hard to lose weight. The only time I was ever able to lose weight was to do a ridiculous workout consisting of 100 lunges 100 sit-ups 50 push-ups. Go swimming for a couple hours or jogging. Repeat the lunges sit-ups and push-ups before bed and do this and only eating eggs. I pretty much worked out all day.
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @aceness123 , I agree with @MeganSchuyler16 , every person is different. My doctor recommended both Birth Control and Metformin for me. I was on Metformin for 7 years and stopped 8 months back. I've struggled more than ever with my weight loss, and now since I started it back 2 weeks ago, my weight is finally moving. It's worth a try to see how it works for you. My main issue is that I'm insulin resistant, I've also learned my lesson that I need to be on the med :(

I'm going to wait a couple of months to see how my cycles respond, but if they don't , I'll most likely be back on birth control as well :neutral:
  • MegSchuy16
    Options
    @aceness123 , I agree with @MeganSchuyler16 , every person is different. My doctor recommended both Birth Control and Metformin for me. I was on Metformin for 7 years and stopped 8 months back. I've struggled more than ever with my weight loss, and now since I started it back 2 weeks ago, my weight is finally moving. It's worth a try to see how it works for you. My main issue is that I'm insulin resistant, I've also learned my lesson that I need to be on the med :(

I'm going to wait a couple of months to see how my cycles respond, but if they don't , I'll most likely be back on birth control as well :neutral:

:) The side effects for Metformin drove me bonkers lol. So glad I on birth control now!
  • renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and was put on Metformin just until I fell pregnant. That helped with weight loss, but my gynae took me off it and now all I have is my birth control (which doesn't help at all with weight control). Nearly 5 years later and I'm still struggling to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I'm only 5kg away, but it may as well be 100 considering how long it takes me to get there. It's like I can eat under my calorie goal and stay exactly where I am for weeks, but eat over once and the next day I'm the weight MFP said I would be in 5 weeks if I keep eating that way. It drives me mad and I gave up completely for nearly a year. A stomach bug kick started my weight loss (like my body suddenly realised, Oh! I should be losing here) and I've become a bit more motivated to track my food
  • mommybehealthy
    Options
    @renevate I'm not on birth control mainly because of the weight gain. Metformin does have crappy side effects, but it's helped me. I'm now at my pre pregnancy weight from my first (8 years ago), it's taken me that long to get there. Best of luck to you!!! I've definitely found that MFP has helped tremendously with my motivation and it's much easier to log food here than others I've tried.
  • renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @renevate I'm not on birth control mainly because of the weight gain. Metformin does have crappy side effects, but it's helped me. I'm now at my pre pregnancy weight from my first (8 years ago), it's taken me that long to get there. Best of luck to you!!! I've definitely found that MFP has helped tremendously with my motivation and it's much easier to log food here than others I've tried.

Thank you! I was fine on Metformin (the slow release) after the first 2 weeks of adjustment. It really curbed my appetite and the weight just fell off. Now my gynae won't put me back on it - apparently I've been doing too well controlling my blood sugar levels and I no longer need it.

At very least, I am no longer obese - I am just under the upper range of overweight. Still a long way to go to healthy, but more healthy than I've been in years. It gives me hope
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, along with a laundry list of other health issues. I have lost weight successfully in the past. It is a struggle, though. My doctor put me on Metformin, but I was taken off after a few months because it was causing my kidneys to fail. Ask your doctor about Topamax. I am currently on it and it curbs my appetite very well. Already have dropped 20 pounds. Good luck, everyone!
  • MishyFent
    MishyFent Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've suffered from PCOS since the age of 22. Finally got a grasp of it 2 years ago age 27. Its been a hard slog but I'm currently 5 stone 3lb down.
    I started exercising one day and never stopped. Stick at it... it's worth it. I was told I may never have children years ago, now my symptoms are almost none existent. If anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free.... always good to motivate each other.
    Good luck on your journey everyone
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for diagnosed 10 years. Of those 10 years 2 was spent at 295 ish (I'm 5'9) another 4 was spent 305-315. The last 4 was spent 315 and up to my highest this January at 339.5. That is when I began my lifestyle change. I have kept very close tabs on what combinations of foods work the best for me and it is basically very low carbs. I have noticed when I hit a small plateau I eat a heavy carb meal within my calorie range. It has helped me alot.
    I also try and stay very close within my macro range of 50% protein 30%fat 20% carbs. Also every 5 pounds down I refigure my BMR. Up to this point 2 1/2 months in I have had very little trouble losing weight...besides putting in some dedication. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Also would love any fellow PCOS ppls to add me also.

BUT one lovely thing after 5 years fighting cervical cancer cells and threatened with a hysterectomy among other things. I recently had my lab results back and for the first time I am cancer free. I think the food change had a part to play in that...and even if it didn't I would still like to think so.

Gl to you and yours.

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I'm looking for any women who have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and either have lost weight successfully, or are trying to (like me). It's an everyday struggle. I'm on month 8 of being on a 1200-1500 calorie restriction, working with a trainer, exercise 5 days a week at least, and do 10k steps every day. I'm down 27lbs but having to lose more than 100lbs and only losing 27 so far is quite discouraging. Especially with all that I'm doing.

Anyone going through the same or similar struggle?

I am down 75, with another 75 - 100 to go. It is a daily struggle, but it IS possible. Make sure you're eating enough. For many folks, 1200 is low, and eating less may not speed up your weight loss. Metformin is your friend if you're insulin resistant.