No profile pic = bad idea?

Options
13»

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't judge off of pictures or the lack there of. As someone else mentioned I look at the quality of their posts and see if there is something to be gained by having them as a friend. A lot of times I reach out to those who have achieved their goal as it is a reminder that it can be done. Other people just bring common sense or knowledge that I desire to share. But most important is a sense of humor, at least to me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't really care. I accept and remove if they're inactive for a long time or do anything creepy.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I accept all friend requests as long as they are not hitting on me or trying to sell me something. People who log in and work hard get to stay. I don't care much ab out avatar pics although I like them because they sort of tell you something about the person. I personally don't use a picture of myself because that makes things too helpful for identity thieves.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I don't care so much about the pic - but for me - if they haven't filled out their profile - even the basics - I'm generally not interested. I'd like to know that this person has a vested interest in MFP and is willing to share. It's like going out on a date with someone who won't talk.....why bother?

Yeah but some members who use the app don't know about the online profile. I have clicked on some active people and saw a blank profile so I'm assuming it's something some don't know about. In 2016 who's going to take the time to log onto the actual website when you can use the app? I think it's a technology problem here not a lack of vested interest.

I use my PC so I log onto the website. I never downloaded the app and I am not planning to do it either, so in my case it is a technology issue because I don't like apps and I don't use the phone for any other thing that calling or texting my family (OK, I do check e-mail when the I am not home).

By choice, I have no friends and I don't accept requests with or without avatars or pictures, but I did complete my profile and I do write my thoughts on my wall for my own enjoyment and to keep track of what ever is important to me fitness related. My profile is private so it is for my eyes only and my avatar, a rose from my garden, is pretty to look at. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Goodness no. It's never occurred to me to think less of someone for not having a photo up.
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It makes no diff to me. It's not like it's face book where I only have people I know personally and post personal things. I hate my pics. there fore I do not post them. :p
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I guess a profile pic isn't that important. My first and most dedicated MFP pals had no profile pic for the longest time. So, no profile pic is not a problem for me.

A friend request with no forum posts, no logging, totally blank profile page, and no message, and doesn't respond to a msg from me.? Or someone with 15,000 friends who sends a message, "hey, im new here, I need more friends to motivate me." Yeah, that's an auto ignore from me. Like, how did you pick me? Random chance? Friend requested the entire MFP community? I find those requests odd.
  • grshaadi
    grshaadi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since there are so many fake ids used in SM it is hard to trust their validity. I use my real name and photo to help insure I do not act like a 'donkey' as much but then I am an old man. In this day and time some may not should use a real face photo.
    Using a real name and profile pic wouldn't work for me due to certain people of my past who still think it is awesome to harass even though it has been many many years since I've interacted with them. It's best to keep that facet of my life away from the present. I'd rather keep those idiots away from me, but at the same time I'd like to interact with new people, too. I don't bite, I just don't feel very comfortable sharing personal information until one gets to know me.

I have other accounts with 'cerise_noir', particularly art and photography (except getty images, the only place I use my name).

Hi. I support you fully. When I opened this thread I was thinking of what you had said earlier on the friend's page. It should not matter to anyone if the photo is there or not, or if it is an actual photo. We all are here to learn from each other and support each other.
  • grshaadi
    grshaadi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I can think of many reasons why someone would choose to not have a pic up. I have some in my profile, but those are for friends only. I work with a lot of people, some of whom I am certain are on here, and I like privacy. I'm here for me, and although I've made many great friends along the way (several I really want to meet), this process is for me and about me. I try to help out where I can and provide support, but it isn't my main priority. I like interacting with my friends, so I try to keep the list small and cut it down regularly. I enjoy their support and I don't think a lack of personal information is a deal breaker for an internet forum friend. I also disagree that level of commitment is related to profile pics or info.

Very well said!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP on and off for years, though it's only recently that I have added friends and made a proper profile. Before I kept myself to myself, but this time around I find I am enjoying the social side of it. Until yesterday I only had a pic of my kettlebells, but reading this thread made me put up a proper pic and fill out my profile a bit. I do find doing all that helps keep me focused and motivated!