So my triglycerides are high?

Options
I've been back on MFP consistently since October. Before that, it was consistent from January to May (work made staying on track impossible over the summer, long story). Every year at my job we are put through a health test to determine if we're healthy enough to perform the tasks we need to do. This includes a blood test. For the past few years, my triglycerides have been just above normal and slightly into "high" range. Since October, I've been consistently logging, making healthier choices, exercising, upping my water intake, dropping weight, etc.

I just got this year's blood test back and my triglycerides sky-rocketed (almost doubled) into the "very high" range. I can't figure out what caused this. I looked up how to lower your triglycerides and I'm already doing almost everything on the list and have been for several months. The only thing I can think to change is to cut back slightly on carbs and starchy veggies, even though I haven't increased how many carbs I eat as I've lost weight. I don't really like sugar, so I'm not packing in the sweets, and what I was eating I've cut back on to help with my weight loss. Everything else on my blood work, including my fasting glucose was well within normal range. My husband thinks this particular result might have been a fluke somehow, but I'm not convinced.

I have my yearly physical coming up in a couple months and planned to discuss this with my doctor then but I was hoping someone could help me figure it out in the mean time.

Here's my stats:
Height: 5'6"
SW: 227
CW: 207
Exercise: 2-4 days per week depending on schedule. Mixture of cardio and weightlifting
Family history: Diabetes (grandparents) and heart disease (grandparents and father)

Replies

• mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere when you are in the process of losing weight and you are using stored body fat for energy, your triglycerides can be elevated. Your body mobilizes body fat in the form of free fatty acids which I think is a triglyceride, and they are circulating in your blood stream to supply your body with energy. I believe I read about this on the "Wheat Belly" website. It does make sense if you think about it but maybe research about high triglycerides during weight loss.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating low fat? Ironically, that can make your triglycerides spike.

Try limiting your starches, using whole grains when you do have any, and incorporating healthy fats like avocados, olive oil and nuts.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You should definitely talk to your GP. I assume he or she will do routine bloodwork again? Go in armed with all your questions.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something to discuss with your dr. I am on 3 cholesterol meds and have been working on getting my numbers from 798 to normal change for about 10 years now.
    Were you fasting when you had the blood work done? What did you eat the day before? The answers to both those questions can have major effects on the numbers that come out in the blood work.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get an appointment with your dr to discuss what you need to do. Especially with a history of heart disease in the family, this is not something I would experiment with and not something I would postpone. Good luck.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating low fat? Ironically, that can make your triglycerides spike.

Try limiting your starches, using whole grains when you do have any, and incorporating healthy fats like avocados, olive oil and nuts.

I haven't been doing any particular diet such as low fat, etc. other than CICO. If I'm doing lower fat it's probably just a result of lower calories/healthier eating. Limiting the starches is my current plan. I'm looking for low carb/low starch recipes but it's hard when I'm very picky about my veggies and trying to watch my sodium intake.
    lgoldfarb wrote: »
    This is definitely something to discuss with your dr. I am on 3 cholesterol meds and have been working on getting my numbers from 798 to normal change for about 10 years now.
    Were you fasting when you had the blood work done? What did you eat the day before? The answers to both those questions can have major effects on the numbers that come out in the blood work.

Yes it was a fasting test. I don't recall what I ate the day before. This test was done a few weeks ago and we just got the results back.

I've done some looking into whether or not weight loss can spike your triglyceride levels and it looks like the release of fat in your cells (from weight loss) can release triglycerides into your bloodstream which would effect a blood panel. Here's a science-based article I found - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-you-lose-weight-wher/
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have also had a history of high triglycerides. For me it's my sugar intake. I have a goal of less than 30g of sugar per day and I try to get as much fiber as possible (over 25g). This combination has worked wonders and dropped my Triglycerides to a normal level along with my total cholesterol. It's really hard to adjust initially to a low sugar diet, but it's amazing the results you get. Good luck with your journey!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Stay away from booze. Exercise.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    jrusso28 wrote: »
    I have also had a history of high triglycerides. For me it's my sugar intake. I have a goal of less than 30g of sugar per day and I try to get as much fiber as possible (over 25g). This combination has worked wonders and dropped my Triglycerides to a normal level along with my total cholesterol. It's really hard to adjust initially to a low sugar diet, but it's amazing the results you get. Good luck with your journey!

I'm below my daily sugar goal by a pretty wide margin everyday. I much prefer salty to sweet.

I actually don't drink very often. Less than once a month. And I'm exercising 2-4 days a week averaging about 45 minutes per workout with a mixture of cardio and weights.
  • ogmomma2012
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    jrusso28 wrote: »

I'm below my daily sugar goal by a pretty wide margin everyday. I much prefer salty to sweet.

I actually don't drink very often. Less than once a month. And I'm exercising 2-4 days a week averaging about 45 minutes per workout with a mixture of cardio and weights.

^_^ Good. I have high triglycerides too. I am doing very low carb with exercise and abstaining from alcohol because cholesterol problems run in my family, and so I might already have a hard time with normal levels.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It could have nothing to do with the healthy changes you have made. Your heredity may simply have caught up with you. You may need medication to control high triglyceride levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1558435
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of meat?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »
    I read somewhere when you are in the process of losing weight and you are using stored body fat for energy, your triglycerides can be elevated. Your body mobilizes body fat in the form of free fatty acids which I think is a triglyceride

A triglyceride is three fatty acids on a glycerol backbone, so it's the opposite of free fatty acids as they aren't "free" or "non-esterified".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Practice guideline at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3431581/ may be helpful. What is OP's TG level ?
  • lifeguard23
    lifeguard23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    High triglycerides can be associated with insulin resistance. To combat insulin resistance, you would want to build muscle and eat carbs with protein.

Your doctor would be able to tell you if this is the case.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Consult a doctor and/or a clinical dietitian.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »

Current research shows that dietary cholesterol has veeery little impact on our overall numbers. :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »

Current research shows that dietary cholesterol has veeery little impact on our overall numbers. :)

Can you link the most current study? I can't find it, but I read the recent ones are supposedly very short term studies and not really comparable to the actual studies showing dietary cholesterol's effect on our health.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »

I haven't been doing any particular diet such as low fat, etc. other than CICO. If I'm doing lower fat it's probably just a result of lower calories/healthier eating. Limiting the starches is my current plan. I'm looking for low carb/low starch recipes but it's hard when I'm very picky about my veggies and trying to watch my sodium intake.
    lgoldfarb wrote: »

Yes it was a fasting test. I don't recall what I ate the day before. This test was done a few weeks ago and we just got the results back.

I've done some looking into whether or not weight loss can spike your triglyceride levels and it looks like the release of fat in your cells (from weight loss) can release triglycerides into your bloodstream which would effect a blood panel. Here's a science-based article I found - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-you-lose-weight-wher/

CICO is all that is needed for weight loss. When it comes to dealing with specific medical conditions, it is not enough. Talk to your dr, you need a specific diet plan and probably medication as well.