MFP vs Weight Watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• Fittingitforever
    Fittingitforever Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've had success with WW in the past but once I discovered MFP, I knew I'd never need it again. MFP is just so much more user friendly, free!, the community boards are great, awesome tracking tools, and I've never had difficulty calculating my cals or planning my day. I'm an MFPer for the long haul!
  • baharal
    baharal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs with WW 25 years ago, did not learn how to eat. WW and other programs I've tried want you to purchase their products. In one program I ended up gaining weight because I ate so many protein bars. I like MFP because I can see the nutritional value of what I am eating and make adjustments. The community is available any time and there are so many different topics to choose from for discussion and support. Plus it's free and you log on when it's convenient for you. You're not trying to schedule a meeting into your already busy schedule.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    One thing about WW is that so much of the value is in the meetings. For me it was almost like going to a 12-step meeting - I had weekly accountability, and it was a great reminder of what I was trying to accomplish. It was also nice seeing the same people every week a lot of the time, and celebrating milestones with them. I've had success with the online program alone as well, but for now I prefer the simplicity of counting calories, and I prefer the MFP system and app. And price.

I lost 80 pounds on WW am a lifetime member and a trained leader. I didn't maintain for multiple reasons but having a great leader and groups can make it so much better or if not, worse. I tried to go back a year or two ago, but it was so different and the leader was just ok and everyone in the meeting was either much older or a SAHM so I just never fit in. I'm much happier here on MFP now, but it did work for me 15 years ago.
    We all have specific needs that have to be filled. What works for me might not work for others and vice versa.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight with WW and mfp. The points system did my head in. WW has some great recipes, which I still use, but mfp gives me all I need community wise and saves me money.
  • jenjen1707
    jenjen1707 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm using both at the moment. I must say though that I was shocked to discover that 30SPs per day only equated to barely 1100 calories on a few occasions. Obviously this does depend on what you eat but I would not call my diet unhealthy at all. Also sometimes when I've gone over my dailies, weeklies, etc, it is good to come on here, log the food then realise that you're beating yourself up for nothing as when converted to calories, I am still well within target on here .. Am seriously thinking of leaving WW online but it's like a comfort blanket for me and I'm almost frightened to let go as have had some success this year using both and have been a member for years .. I agree with what someone else said above though, that the Connect community is fabulous and extremely supportive.
  • Ravenspurn
    Ravenspurn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried WW many moons ago in Australia during the 90's, whilst I did lose weight, I ended so so frustrated with the recipes, and the points system was difficult to follow,and I did not feel healthy.
    Counting calories is one thing, but is pointless unless you know the other parts of the equation.
    MFP is so much better, as it allows you to not only calculate what you are putting in, but adjust to your needs.

Need additional Fat, more Potassium, extra cholesterol? easy to adjust.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers was great for me about 10 years or so ago. I lost about 50 lbs but then of course it creeped back on. I just found too much focus on food. What is good, what is bad. If I lost at that week's weigh in they said "Good girl" and if I didn't, I felt 'bad'. I find with MFP it's more holistic. Yes I am staying within my caloric deficit but I'm more focused on getting in more activity and on choosing healthy and nutrient dense foods vs just low points. Maybe it's me that's changed but I just didn't find WW right. I like all the nutritional info I can glean from this system and for my macros. And I find the people here great - friendly, supportive and someone always ready with help.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes.. I love the weight watchers program and still follow the basic guidelines about eating healthy and adding in new foods and exericises but I don't want to pay for weight loss when it's on me in the long run anyways. Also the biggest kicker is that calories are listed everywhere and on everything unlike weight watcher points so all I have to do is think of my daily calorie allowance as my money in the bank and just keep subtracting the total until I run out each day. MFP is great for keeping track because after you get your food diary loaded up with all the foods you eat on a daily/weekly basis, its all about log on> point and click> log off each time you eat something or do something. Easy and free. Who doesn't love free?!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I use a free points app for ww..I lost hundreds between pregnancies doing it..I use the old points system and if in doubt I will look it up on mfp. To me it gives me freedom because after 12 yrs I can look at a foods cal, fat, fiber and just know it's points. I also know that for every point I go over how much I need to exercise to get back under. That being said, it's far less stressful for me than counting calories..I do however NOT like their new programs, they have made it way to complicated. My sister in law has lost 50lbs though and looks amazing on their new system.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Personally I never understood why people paid for those kinds of programs when it's all free online like on sites like MFP. Just instead of using Points, you're counting the actual calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!