Sugar tax to be imposed in UK

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    We need to get over this 'sugar is evil' mindset, and focus on portion size.

because that's been so successful thus far ?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've not seen it attempted. The government could just as easily mandate that cafe's and restaurants publish calorie content on their menus, and add an extra tax for meals above a certain threshold.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

It's been attempted? They've started teaching basic nutrition in UK schools?
  • yarwell
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I doubt you can find anyone that has not heard the message about eating less and moving more. The last survey I read said that "Approximately 15% of adults report that they are trying to lose weight" but it was from 2011. It also said "The most frequently cited method of controlling weight is trying to eat less
    at meal times. However, those who are obese and morbidly obese are
    significantly less likely than other groups to report this. "
  • brower47
    Options
    I doubt you can find anyone that has not heard the message about eating less and moving more.

Doesn't really answer the question. You think hearing that over simplified line is the extent of education required?
  • yarwell
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I doubt you can find anyone that has not heard the message about eating less and moving more.

Doesn't really answer the question. You think hearing that over simplified line is the extent of education required?

Personally I think people know exactly what to do, but choose not to do it. I don't know if there's a coherent credible message either, as banging on about sugary drinks in the context of a 55% carbohydrate diet seems futile. The obese are more likely to be drinking diet drinks, so it does little for them.
  • brower47
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Personally I think people know exactly what to do, but choose not to do it. I don't know if there's a coherent credible message either, as banging on about sugary drinks in the context of a 55% carbohydrate diet seems futile. The obese are more likely to be drinking diet drinks, so it does little for them.

When I see people on here asking what a calorie deficit is or if (insert snake oil product here) will help them lose weight, when I see multiple types of shows that deal with weight and the obvious ignorance of many of the subjects and when I listen to the conversations of people in everyday life, I don't think your assertion that most people know what to do holds water.

I listened to a woman explain to another just the other day that HFCS made her fat while she ate 4 muffins that were good for her because she made them with honey and applesauce. I was part of a class last fall semester where one of my fellow students, a nursing student applicant, used buzzfeed articles as her sources as to why Monostoto is making us fat with nary a mention of the calorie equation. This is everyday stuff and par for the course

Weight maintenance and weight loss is not common sense, it's uncommon.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I think everyone knows they need to eat less to lose weight, but few are interested in doing it.

Many of the things you cite are just defensive stuff about why they aren't doing it. I really don't think there's anyone who honestly thinks sugary fizzy drinks are an essential part of nutrition and beneficial to weight loss, to be honest, but apparently we need a tax to signal this ?

The halo of health around fruit is unhelpful, as is Weight-Watchers "free foods" concept and the like, but my local library has a display of diet books and following any one of them would get results.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

For those of us who have actually done it? Very. If national governments would start being honest with their citizens regarding health and well being, it might help but I'm not holding my breath.
  • yarwell
    Options
    As an amusing aside the press coverage of the sugar tax managed to completely obscure the release of an updated set of UK eating guidelines last week http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-eatwell-guide.aspx Bit of an own goal.

Eatwell-guide-2016-FINAL-MAR-16.jpg

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    to be fair I don't see anyone getting sick, overweight, or malnourished with the above NHS guidelines. And anyway, the human body is pretty amazing at getting by on all kinds of limited and unusual diets. The americas were discovered by a crew eating nothing more than salted meats, biscuits, and grog.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    People act like eating sugar is a modern issue. Has anyone read about the sugar consumption of Queen Elizabeth I, her teeth were said to be black from eating so much sugar. Sugar was quite popular in that era. Even during the American revolution sugar was a black market item and sold buy privateers. They were not over weight. People now sit on their backsides way too much and eat fast food daily and this is what is a big issue with over weight. Kids need to get out and play and have parents that cook real food, then they would be thinner.
  • brower47
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think everyone knows they need to eat less to lose weight, but few are interested in doing it.

Many of the things you cite are just defensive stuff about why they aren't doing it. I really don't think there's anyone who honestly thinks sugary fizzy drinks are an essential part of nutrition and beneficial to weight loss, to be honest, but apparently we need a tax to signal this ?

The halo of health around fruit is unhelpful, as is Weight-Watchers "free foods" concept and the like, but my local library has a display of diet books and following any one of them would get results.

Okay. We simply disagree on whether people are educated enough.

But I've thought the tax was silly from the beginning of my posting in this thread.

That last paragraph threw me. I'm not sure what you were trying to convey with it.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I, as an "American" (emphasis added for sarcasm of the previous posts) am 50 now, but 45 years ago, we had every single one of the same greasy fast food chain restaurants nearby, it was affordable, we had access to everything they have today, but we only went occasionally. It was a special treat to go on the weekend, or when the parents worked too late.

None of this is new, none of the sugar content is new. Sugar isn't suddenly found to be bad, where all of us were just stupid and the new generation is so much smarter...A Pepsi then, was just as bad for you as it was today. What changed?

Are you saying these foods were available at the same costs and levels? $1 burgers (or whatever the equivalent cost then was), unlimited and free soda refills? I forget if it's just McDonald's, but don't all the drink sizes cost the same now?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Love this topic, by the way. It's been fun reading posts from all you cynics :D

So now I'm thinking the British government said, aww geez we're short on money. Now what? I know, we'll tax uh... Sugar! We just have to be patient and give it to children's PE for the first couple years and then we get an easy extra 500 mil a year forever. Brilliant!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lol. If government are claiming it's about tackling obesity how is just taxing sugary drinks going to do it?
    Just collect the extra tax money cos we need the extra cash and be honest about it.

I see secondary school kids in the morning eating a bag of crisp or bar of chocolate and a red bull in the morning. If they can't afford the red bull any more they can have the lucozade sport and wash the crisp down
    After school it's chicken and chips with a free fizzy drink for 1.99. So if it becomes more expensive drink the fruit juice which won't be taxed. Yes well done we have solved the childhood obesity problem

This obsession we have about sugar is so irritating. Clever advertising and education is needed. And not Jamie Oliver either
  • yarwell
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    So now I'm thinking the British government said, aww geez we're short on money. Now what? I know, we'll tax uh... Sugar! We just have to be patient and give it to children's PE for the first couple years and then we get an easy extra 500 mil a year forever. Brilliant!

I read the spreadsheet and the amount they expect to take declines annually for the three years it's projected. The spend element actually starts before the revenue. But we do have a massive debt, you're right.

7xkpgq57hvw6.png

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If the tax doesn't have an impact then why does the American Beverage Association, the Corn Refiners Association, McDonald's Corporation and Burger King Holdings Inc spend a fortune on lobbists against the tax? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-03-13/anti-obesity-soda-tax-fails-as-lobbyists-spend-millions-retail
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying the initiatives that the UK is taking to battle obesity. I realize that it comes with its downsides, but it makes my life easier. It's nice being able to buy a can of tomato sauce without tons of high fructose corn syrup. It's nice to be able to choose brown rice or wholegrain pasta without paying twice as much. I am dreading going back home for that reason.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying the initiatives that the UK is taking to battle obesity. I realize that it comes with its downsides, but it makes my life easier. It's nice being able to buy a can of tomato sauce without tons of high fructose corn syrup. It's nice to be able to choose brown rice or wholegrain pasta without paying twice as much. I am dreading going back home for that reason.

I have never purchased tomato sauce with HFC in it I don't know what brand you buy but I have none of the issues you speak of and I live in Ohio