Eating unhealthy

Options
Is it ok to grab a small portion of greasey food if you haven't met your macros for the day?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    IMO, there's nothing wrong with a treat. In fact, I make room every single Day for one. As long as your nutrional needs are met, I see no problem with a treat type of food.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    No one's perfect.

What I generally see recommended here is to meet your protein goal, which should be around 0.6 -0.8 grams per pound of weight (I think...someone correct that please if I'm remembering wrong). Try to hit fat, too (that I think is 0.4 g per pound of weight overall).

If you don't quite get there, no big deal, especially when it's one day. Consistently being under your goals is an issue, but the odd day here and there is fine :)

~Lyssa
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Why not! It's too much ("junk" food) or too little (nutrient wise) of something that'll cause health issues. And as long as it fits my macros/calorie goals, it's fine by me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    just follow the 80/20 rule, 80% good nutrition and 20% whatever you fancy :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to grab a small portion of greasey food if you haven't met your macros for the day?

I won't mind :p What is small, and what do you mean by greasy? Fat is good for you, a good balance beween macro nutrients is good for you, food you like is good for you, nutrient dense and well prepared food is good for you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sure. This is for the rest of your life - you'll go nuts (or at least I would) if I couldn't have small snacks of things I wanted to.I am not into deprivation. Balance and portion size rules.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    just follow the 80/20 rule, 80% good nutrition and 20% whatever you fancy :smile:

Yes! Although I might be around 70/30... :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @bioklutz you're doing not so bad then :smiley:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    No. Never. McDonalds should be outlawed..
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. But that's just me. If you like that kind of food, go for it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious - what's a "small portion of greasy food"?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Macros are not written in stone. It's okay to break the rules if it means putting your mind at ease and a more pleasant diet. You set your macro rules after all, so modifying them to fit your preferences is not a big deal as long as the overall average of your calories is lower than your maintenance calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Not an issue.
    Total diet matters. One item? Not so much.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

@eldamiano I would have agreed with you six months ago since I eat LCHF but since they are now serving fresh cracked eggs looked with real butter and so so sausage and OK bacon I am back to eating almost daily at McDonald's for better health. Often it is only for coffee and half and half. My macro for the last 1.5 years has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80 fats prevents me from ordering a lot of meals however. Clearly McDonals is a source for high carb folks as well but there are perhaps better fast food places. Locally Culver's sources high quality food suppliers.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

@eldamiano I would have agreed with you six months ago since I eat LCHF but since they are now serving fresh cracked eggs looked with real butter and so so sausage and OK bacon I am back to eating almost daily at McDonald's for better health. Often it is only for coffee and half and half. My macro for the last 1.5 years has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80 fats prevents me from ordering a lot of meals however. Clearly McDonals is a source for high carb folks as well but there are perhaps better fast food places. Locally Culver's sources high quality food suppliers.

Ya know, I'm not quite with you on the LCHF gig (I understand the concept, it's just not for me personally), but I admire the heck out of you for saying you eat almost daily at McDonald's for better health. That's fantastic.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

That's fine if it works for you. It didn't work so well for me. What worked for me was learning not to fancy sugar. But grabbing something small and rich in the right sort of fat when I have the calories left.....that would work for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@GaleHawkins Do you think eating 222 grams of fat is healthy? What are your main sources of fat? That is a crazy amount of fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Ya know, I'm not quite with you on the LCHF gig (I understand the concept, it's just not for me personally), but I admire the heck out of you for saying you eat almost daily at McDonald's for better health. That's fantastic.

Thanks @ClosetBayesian. While the McDonald menu options it does work when I eat out. I never set out to eat LCHF. I was just trying to manage joint and muscle pain by diet. When I cut out sugar and all grains and got heavy into coconut oil I was eating LCHF before I ever heard of Low Carb High Fat way of eating.

30 days after I cut out sugar and grains my pain level dropped greatly and is still managed well by diet 18 months later so staying LCHF is was a no brainer in my case. I was heavy into coconut oil but still had the pain. After I cut out the sugar and grains was when the pain, 40 years of IBS resolved, weight dropped (maintain at 200 for a year now) from 250 peak, blood pressure and blood work improved, etc.

LCHF I do not recommend for weight loss. While it worked by removing my cravings it takes a real reason to do the very low carb option of eating <50 grams of carbs daily as I do. Technically low carb is <150 grams daily.

If very LCHF did not manage my pain and IBS I am not sure if I would be doing it a year and a half later. It was hellish for the first 14 days going off most carbs cold turkey. I tried for 60 days to taper off but no dice.

Any way one eats for better health that gives better health that yields good weight management, better general health backed up by better results at annual exam time is the way to eat in my view.

Eating out or processed foods is not without risks for sure.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not surprised abt the withdrawal issues with the carbs/sugar. From what I have read on it sugar is as addictive as a lot of drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.). I cut back on the sugar (natural & added) and lost 12 lbs in the process. Do whatever works for you. BTW, you probably mean overly processed foods with who knows what added to them; food is processed when you cook it & add your own seasonings. Good luck! B)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I was actually being sarcastic.

Eating McDonald's to be more healthy.... Interesting...