Losing pounds but no inches!!!!

Options
Hi guys .... So I have a HUGE dilemma and it's getting discouraging.... I started my journey I January 2016 since then I've been counting calories and working out 6 days a week, doing cardio and weights I drink a gallon of water a day. So far I've lost 20 lbs and I'm so happy with that but I've lost roughly 2 inches around waist, I've gained around hips (squats are working I guess) but why am I not losing inches? Is it too soon? Btw I'm 5'7" so idk if that has to do with it. Any answers and advice greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't worry that's just bloating from water mostly. Keep up what you're doing and everything should be fine. I'm the same height this is what I've experienced (though sometimes I drink a crazy amount of water at the gym).
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't worry that's just bloating from water mostly. Keep up what you're doing and everything should be fine. I'm the same height this is what I've experienced (though sometimes I drink a crazy amount of water at the gym).

Also 2 inches isn't nothing. It's been a few months and you're doing great.
  • almancorona88
    almancorona88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Im just like wth! 20 lbs but same measurements ..... I can see my stomach going down but nothing crazy
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Are you taking other measurements? You've got arms, thighs, bust, and hips in addition to your waist. I think measuring your neck might be a thing too.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    And I just noticed your said your hips, so maybe ignore what I just said :)
  • almancorona88
    Options
    Lol it's ok... No just bust, waist and hips..... But i do notice my arms a tad smaller and thighs shrinking ..... Just waiting for tummy to go down
  • jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1) You could be losing other places first. The wt melted off my chest, neck, legs.. but I'm still struggling with the midsection/arms 2) when I met with a trainer I had the same issue, losing wt but my pants were fitting exactly the same. He said I was losing muscle mass. I needed to up my protein and sustained cardio was getting my muscles. I needed to switch lifting & HIIT workouts. Its working :) I had to get a belt! hahah Plus I've stopped looking at the scale so much (maybe once a month) and have just been measuring all body parts & checking fat %

Just keep at it!
  • almancorona88
    Options
    Oh i see... SO it'll just take time hehehe I'm just a little impatient lol thank you
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention. Could be muscle gain. Keep at it, though...and those results will come.
  • musikplayr
    musikplayr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing it all correctly. Don't be discouraged! Your body will do what you want. It's hard, but just give it time. Your patience will be rewarded. In the mean time, measure as many things as you can, and use the picture function of the progress section of the mobile app. You're doing great!
  • rubyweapon8503
    rubyweapon8503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - I'm 5'7'', lost about 20 lbs so far and I've only lost an inch around my waist and hips. But, as Jessica said, I have noticed that my face is leaner and I have lost my double chin, and my wedding ring is also looser.
  • almancorona88
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL GUYS!!!!! I truly appreciate all the comments. Makes me feel motivated!!!! I will keep going at it and give it more time!!!!
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but I've gone from a 36" waist to 32" in 40lbs
    So if you lost two inches in 20lbs, that sounds about right.
  • summermalenehubbard
    Options
    It depends on your starting size. The bigger a person is the faster the scale will move initially.
    When I was 390 pounds it took roughly 40 pounds to drop a size. Now in the mid 200s it take 20 pounds. You'll hit a stall on weightloss and when you do, that will be when your body will shrink and reshape itself. Then you'll start to loose weight again, then stall, reshape, ect... it doesn't happen all at once.
  • almancorona88
    Options
    Amazing guys!!! I needed to hear it from others going through the same experience. Yes I started at 241 size 18 I'm now at 222 same size
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, you've lost than 10% of your weight, so having lost more than 10% of your dress size is pretty good

Obviously not quite that simple....
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Same thing here at 5'6

Losing about a lb a week, but only lost an inch in waist, 0 inches hips, 2 inches chest.

Face is a lot leaner, double chin down to just a tiny bit of loose skin, legs getting leaner, but waist and hips going at a slower rate it seems.

Keep at it ! I know I'm feeling better and better by the day.
  • almancorona88
    Options
    Thank y'all... Yes we've come so far... I need to keep pushing