has anyone lost weight by walking?

Options
has anyone lost weight by walking? if so how much did you lose? how much did you walk a day? did you do anything else to help you lose weight?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I walk a few days a week, but losing weight comes down to a calorie deficit.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday but like @malibu927 says it is about the calorie deficit.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I understand that, was just wondering peoples progress with walking
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You cannot out walk over eating is what we are saying. Walking is for health and fitness, calorie deficit is for weight loss.
  • turkey75
    turkey75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am confused with this stuff. what is the calorie deficit again??? thanks
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have! So far, I have lost 41 lbs and all I have done is walk and count calories. I walk enough steps a day to make sure I have a calorie deficit every day. One day I walk 20,000+ steps and the next I walk between 10,000-11,000 steps. On the weekends I take it easy at least one day, still watching calories. Before I got my activity tracker for Christmas, I didn't move much at all...just what I had to do to get thru the day. I started with struggling to get about 3500 steps a day at first but I kept at it and eventually got as high as 31,000 steps. However, that was too many steps for such a short period of time and my PT told me to slow down, give my body time to heal in between 'push' days so now I have this new routine of one day push, next day less and one day on the weekend doing just what I need to do to get thru the day. My belief is that the steps and watching calories work together since, in the past, I have just exercised or just watched calories and the results were not what I am getting now.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have! So far, I have lost 41 lbs and all I have done is walk and count calories. I walk enough steps a day to make sure I have a calorie deficit every day.

how long did it take you?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means that you burn fewer calories than you consume.

Walking can help burn more calories (I went on a 1 hour walk today that burned about 275 calories.)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have and still am. I try to walk every day. I usually aim for somewhere between 60-90 minutes of walking and I typically end up somewhere in the middle. So far I have successfully eliminated 150 pounds (half my starting body weight). I walk in conjunction with watching portion size (i.e. making sure I'm expending more calories than I take in) and eating in such a was that emphasizes eating more whole foods.
  • MichaelRpal
    MichaelRpal Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You can walk weight off -- that is you can contribute to your calorie deficit by walking (nutrition is always a big deal though). If you want it to really help "walk" implies walking briskly and/or walking up/down inclines. Casual walking is better than nothing, but you aren't going to watch the fat melt away just doing that.

Most exercise can contribute toward the calorie deficit; plus they usually help in other areas even if they don't burn fat like crazy.

Oh, and when walking wear comfortable, but well fitting shoes. And don't wear thin socks. Good Lord do not wear thin socks (blisters are not your friend and will slow your walking efforts for a good chunk of time).

Addendum: I walked 50-70 minutes every day for about 5 weeks, a few small hills here and there in the area. Helped feet stop hurting after a while just walking; helped knees stop hurting (probably helped build up a little more muscle). I haven't recently due to weather, but been working out indoors instead. Will probably add it back in there for fresh air, sun, and still get some exercise. Don't know how much I can attribute to Walking vs. diet, but assuming I'm not eating too little it contributed an extra pound a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight by walking? if so how much did you lose? how much did you walk a day? did you do anything else to help you lose weight?

I walk every non-raining work day at lunchtime and often once or twice on the weekend. I started at about 20 minutes and am up to 68 minutes. This is mostly on a hiking trail, and when I need a change of pace I bring along tools and maintain it.

I've lost about 30 pounds so far.

Walking has lots of benefits besides the calorie burn - I feel better and I sleep better. I'm more productive in the afternoon and have more energy in the evening. My spirits are lifted by spending time in nature.

I do a variety of other activities and practices that help me lose weight, but spend the most time walking. That may change once gardening season heats up.

• Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have! So far, I have lost 41 lbs and all I have done is walk and count calories. I walk enough steps a day to make sure I have a calorie deficit every day.

how long did it take you?

Four months but I didn't start MFP until a couple of days after Christmas which has helped immensely. I am 2 lbs away from my first goal and then will set a new one. By the time I am done, I will have lost 68 lbs. I consume between 1000-1200 calories a day.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Aside from very light rehab exercises, I only walked and lost / maintained weight for six months.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I did. I started walking one spring, didn't change anything with diet, and by the end of summer, I had lost 2 jean sizes. Maintained the weightloss over winter, and lost another 3 jean sizes the 2nd summer. I never watched calories. Obviously, the extra walking used enough calories that I lost. I have maintained this weight loss for several years. I got deathly ill a little over a year ago, and now that I'm healthy and strong again, I'm trying to lose a few more sizes.

A few things about me though- I am disabled and walk with crutches. This makes me burn a lot more calories when I walk. I worked up to 1/2 mile and 3/4 mile walks every other day. If I walked more than that, my arms, wrists and hands hurt too much to walk the next day. I also can't weigh on a scale. I've tried weighing on a big platform scale, and can't balance enough to keep the weight constant or remotely accurate. I have to weigh in a hospital bed, so I go by clothing size more than anything to gauge what I'm losing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Counting (restricting) calories first, walking second. As of my last weigh-in, down 75 lbs from January 5015, inching towards 80.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started by simply walking around the neighborhood a few times a week. Now I'm jogging 6 days a week. I look forward to it each morning. Just my music and the sun. Be carful with using exercise for weight loss though. As others have stated exercise is for fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    I did. I started walking one spring, didn't change anything with diet, and by the end of summer, I had lost 2 jean sizes. Maintained the weightloss over winter, and lost another 3 jean sizes the 2nd summer. I never watched calories. Obviously, the extra walking used enough calories that I lost. I have maintained this weight loss for several years. I got deathly ill a little over a year ago, and now that I'm healthy and strong again, I'm trying to lose a few more sizes.

A few things about me though- I am disabled and walk with crutches. This makes me burn a lot more calories when I walk. I worked up to 1/2 mile and 3/4 mile walks every other day. If I walked more than that, my arms, wrists and hands hurt too much to walk the next day. I also can't weigh on a scale. I've tried weighing on a big platform scale, and can't balance enough to keep the weight constant or remotely accurate. I have to weigh in a hospital bed, so I go by clothing size more than anything to gauge what I'm losing.

I really admire your attitude - you have challenges but found workarounds. You're inspirational :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I also work out at a medically oriented gym every other day. The therapists down there say I'm the hardest working member they have. I feel like I have to. I can't just go for a run, and I have to stay strong so I can keep walking. That, and I'm just stubborn. :-)
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs since January 5th by counting calories and walking.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means that you burn fewer calories than you consume.

Walking can help burn more calories (I went on a 1 hour walk today that burned about 275 calories.)

You sure about that? Calorie deficit is you burn more than you consume thus your body has to find another source for the necessary calories, so it looks to your fat stores.