High Protein Breakfasts

Options
flrancho
flrancho Posts: 271 Member
I have a hard time meeting my daily protein goals - not as much for lunch or dinner, but breakfast is a big issue.

I try to avoid high cholesterol foods (eggs - though I do eat egg substitute) and try to eat red meat only once a week. Which rules out a lot of breakfast meat like ham, sausage, or bacon. I buy the turkey varieties on occasion, but these are pretty high in sodium and my doctor suggested I have no more than 2,000 mg a day due to a heart issue. Due to endometriosis and a hepactic adenoma, I also try to limit dairy consumption to only one serving per day (and I don't like milk).

I've tried protein powder and mixing it with almond milk and while I actually enjoy the shakes, I find the powder to be expensive.

What are some ways I can get more protein in my diet, especially breakfast?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. You've ruled out pretty much every protein source I use.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What protein do you eat at other times of the day? Eat those for breakfast.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Usually chicken or fish, rarely red meat. Seems strange to eat those for breakfast, but I guess I could.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just had fish for breakfast. Also had scrambled eggs cooked with broccoli slaw. It was delicious.

Does the egg substitute have protein? I know some people do a tofu scramble instead of eggs.

38g protein for mine.
  • 6AMGANG
    6AMGANG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have no idea. You've ruled out pretty much every protein source I use.

haha, damn. beat me to it.

• MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, high protein pancakes (Kodiak brand for example)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »

Usually chicken or fish, rarely red meat. Seems strange to eat those for breakfast, but I guess I could.

Chicken is marvelous for breakfast! :mrgreen:
    And you can eat fish for breakfast. It does not take long to cook. Or make it the night before to heat up. <3<3
  • VeeGeeMom
    VeeGeeMom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    High protein breakfast is working for us. We don't shy away from whole eggs...they are good food. But we also add lean beef and the Bird's Eye Steam Fresh Protein Blends vegetables from the freezer section at the grocers. Basically we have dinner for breakfast and eat lite in the evening.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    I have a hard time meeting my daily protein goals - not as much for lunch or dinner, but breakfast is a big issue.

I try to avoid high cholesterol foods (eggs - though I do eat egg substitute) and try to eat red meat only once a week. Which rules out a lot of breakfast meat like ham, sausage, or bacon. I buy the turkey varieties on occasion, but these are pretty high in sodium and my doctor suggested I have no more than 2,000 mg a day due to a heart issue. Due to endometriosis and a hepactic adenoma, I also try to limit dairy consumption to only one serving per day (and I don't like milk).

I've tried protein powder and mixing it with almond milk and while I actually enjoy the shakes, I find the powder to be expensive.

What are some ways I can get more protein in my diet, especially breakfast?

Shop your powder. Pure Protein brand is pretty inexpensive.

However, tuna is super high in protein. So is chicken. Rotisserie chickens are like $5 at most places, and are good for like 4 meals. Chicken is about as close as you can get to pure protein, other than powder.
  • _angee
    _angee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could try adding hemp seeds to a smoothie with protein powder or have oatmeal with hemp seeds and other seeds.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you're only worry with eggs is the cholesterol you could just use the whites, good protein and little to no fat/cholesterol. The egg subs are decent protein too. Maybe switch between an egg dish(egg veggie scramble, etc) and a shake for breakfasts. I love the ease of the shakes but want to start with more real foods and have looked at a few of the easy egg/veggie breakfast scrambles and they look pretty good.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eggs even though high in cholestoral are very nutritious, a real superfood, many throw the yolks away but the yolk has all the good stuff!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Tempeh and tofu can be substitutes for eggs. Cook those up with some spinach, broccoli, and tomatoes yummmmmmm.