Sweets Addict...

Options
2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are my favorite, I have one almost every single day, lost 120 pounds doing so and maintained now for 18 months now.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Emma and I'm addicted to chocolate.

I've always been addicted to sweets and specifically chocolate... so I decided to cut it down to a small sweet on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a "big" (bakery) sweet on Sundays. Well that's not working out.

On days where I'm not supposed to have sweets, that is my mindset. "YOU CAN NOT HAVE SWEETS" Well then I want it and crave it more. :( so I end up giving in and then hating myself for giving in.

So... If I eat well all day, and have calories leftover... Is it OK to have a cookie or candy bar or something like that as long as I don't go over my calories? I'd like to not eat sweets every day but seriously... I can't give up sweets. There's no way.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated, though. Getting frustrated and stressed.

For once I have very good news for someone who started a thread titled addicted - you can totally fit them.
    In fact, there is some studies and a lot of anecdotes that affirm the issue you were having: restricting a food completely leads to obsession over the banned food, which leads to cravings and over consumption later.
    At the end of the day, your body turns most of a candy bar or a piece of fruit into a lot of the same stuff: molecules of glucose to use for energy. What your body really responds to is the number of calories - the difference between how many you ate and how many you used throughout the day has to come out of it the body's fat stores.

And just for completeness - this doesn't mean nutrition and eating whole foods has no place - even though you could lose weight eating nothing but candy if calories are under control, it would not likely be the healthiest way to live one's life.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My story.

I restrict and start out my day eating perfectly by the book. Then when I get home, I binge eat. Or maybe on the way home I get some food and binge. Of course, I wasn't losing weight but was treating myself to a full serving of restriction obsession and then shame on binge eating. I changed.

I took a chance and started eating A LOT. I eat all the time, a lot of fruits and vegetables. I used to eat light in the morning and lunch so I would have more food for dinner, but that led to binge eating. Me eating all the time decreases my need to binge, decreases my cravings for sweets. I tell myself everyday that I WILL have sweets everyday. Doing this has not only helped me lose weight, but I am in a MUCH better place emotionally. My idea of sweets used to be a cupcake, or maybe a sleeve or girl scout cookies. Now, it is a fun size kitkat or two.

I no longer feel like a weak minded person for caving in to my sweet cravings.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and me...oh the love affair (I need to get out more). If I have enough calories, I'll have some, if not, then I won't. If I'm really craving it, I'll have a little bit to curb the craving regardless, because I know I'll crack and binge. Try and cut back, not cut out, that's where you often see people having problems and they start binging as soon as they 'allow' themselves a little. Some people can, some can't.

I found buying individually wrapped squares, or breaking the bars into serving sizes and packaging them, works best so that I'm not tempted to just keep dipping my hand into a bag. Also the darkest chocolate I can stand (around the low 60' at the moment) because for me that is a really strong chocolate and I don't want as much of it. If it's too dark, it's just too bitter and I don't WANT to eat it.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals and make something sweet fit in my calories and macros every day. I get to eat a bar of dark chocolate every night and still see a loss weekly. You may need to make healthier swaps during the day to do it but for me it's worth it.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    JmeJinxx wrote: »
    I pre-log my meals and make something sweet fit in my calories and macros every day. I get to eat a bar of dark chocolate every night and still see a loss weekly. You may need to make healthier swaps during the day to do it but for me it's worth it.

Exactly
  • katekc22
    katekc22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hear ya there, i am a MAJOR chocolate addict. I have to have some every day. I work in a chocolate cafe so it would be impossible for me not to have it. I always work it in my calories and just as long as I'm not over I'm good.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I learned how to just kill two birds with one stone using non-fat plain Greek yogurt. Take some non-fat plain Greek yogurt and add in some artificial sweetener. I like Truvia best. Then you can mix in some kind of flavoring. My gotos are lemon extract, almond extract, peppermint extract, or vanilla extract. You can also add in things like instant coffee or light chocolate syrup for the base. Then you can throw in measured amounts of fresh or frozen fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc. It makes a great and filling dessert that can also help you meet your protein macro for the day if you struggle otherwise to do so.

I also love using nf Greek yogurt instead of whipped cream for strawberries and cream. I toss the fresh strawberries in Truvia and then in another bowl, mix non-fat Greek yogurt with vanilla extract or bean and Truvia. I then put the mixture on top of the berries and it is so good and low cal and high protein. Sometimes, some light chocolate syrup for good measure. I'm so stuffed after eating it, ugh, don't want anything else. :expressionless:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, looks like the good advice crew has this covered already. I'm going to go have a square of Ghiradelli DarkChocolate Sea Salt Caramel and celebrate moderation...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Emma and I'm addicted to chocolate.

I've always been addicted to sweets and specifically chocolate... so I decided to cut it down to a small sweet on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a "big" (bakery) sweet on Sundays. Well that's not working out.

On days where I'm not supposed to have sweets, that is my mindset. "YOU CAN NOT HAVE SWEETS" Well then I want it and crave it more. :( so I end up giving in and then hating myself for giving in.

So... If I eat well all day, and have calories leftover... Is it OK to have a cookie or candy bar or something like that as long as I don't go over my calories? I'd like to not eat sweets every day but seriously... I can't give up sweets. There's no way.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated, though. Getting frustrated and stressed.

For once I have very good news for someone who started a thread titled addicted - you can totally fit them.
    In fact, there is some studies and a lot of anecdotes that affirm the issue you were having: restricting a food completely leads to obsession over the banned food, which leads to cravings and over consumption later.
    At the end of the day, your body turns most of a candy bar or a piece of fruit into a lot of the same stuff: molecules of glucose to use for energy. What your body really responds to is the number of calories - the difference between how many you ate and how many you used throughout the day has to come out of it the body's fat stores.

And just for completeness - this doesn't mean nutrition and eating whole foods has no place - even though you could lose weight eating nothing but candy if calories are under control, it would not likely be the healthiest way to live one's life.

@senecarr I've seen the anecdotes here and am interested in seeing the studies. (Not giving you a hard time; genuinely curious.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts

Since Kale with Benefits is a little short on magnesium an alternative to supplements I would suggest perpitas
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love sweets also, so I feel your heartache! haha. I eat sweets everyday and stay within my calories/macros... I make sure to fit them in! Check out Arctic Zero ice cream. Its AMAZING and LOW in calories. Sometimes hard to find though. A whole pint is only 150 cals! and the choc. is the bomb! Also check out skinny cow candy. Its yummy and low in calories/macros. Sugar free jello with light cool whip, etc. Just have to fit things in and make it work! Story of my life!