Hey y'all I need HELP!

Options
Hi! My name is Billie Marie! I've been trying to keep up with working out on top of school and working full time. I'm always running around and very active. Unfortunately I also have a very fast metabolism. I'm barely over 100 lbs. and 5'4". It's been so difficult to try to gain weight. Any advice ???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight means eating more than you burn. There's no such thing as a fast/slow metabolism (unless you have a health issue). There's eating under/maintenance and surplus. You're not in surplus, so no weight gain.
    Eat more calorie dense foods. Pizza, pasta, fried foods, peanut butter, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • johnow101
    johnow101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you would like to gain weight effectively I'd be more than happy to help
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bmcook95 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Billie Marie! I've been trying to keep up with working out on top of school and working full time. I'm always running around and very active. Unfortunately I also have a very fast metabolism. I'm barely over 100 lbs. and 5'4". It's been so difficult to try to gain weight. Any advice ???

Being very active =/= having a fast metabolism, but it will require you to eat a lot of calories. If you want to gain weight and you struggle to eat enough calories, then you might want to cut down on running a bit and concentrate more on lifting and getting yourself in a calorie surplus. Below is an active list of foods that can help you achieve such a goal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

• Ioana_Dumi
    Ioana_Dumi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's actually really simple (tho not really all that easy) :( I'm also at 100 lbs and about 5.5 and have been trying to gain weight. About a month ago I started eating about 1900 cal a day and didn't see any difference in 4 weeks. So I upped my calories to 2200 and lo and behold, I've gained almost 0.5 kg for the past week.
  • MamaLlamaThatsMe
    MamaLlamaThatsMe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jo330673 wrote: »
    It's actually really simple (tho not really all that easy) :( I'm also at 100 lbs and about 5.5 and have been trying to gain weight. About a month ago I started eating about 1900 cal a day and didn't see any difference in 4 weeks. So I upped my calories to 2200 and lo and behold, I've gained almost 0.5 kg for the past week.

Excellent work! I am 5'5" and 95 pounds, but I have a hard time eating to or over 2,000 calories, partially because of extreme dietary restrictions (due to a health condition) and partially because of how my stomach feels when I do manage to eat that much. All this to say: I know it isn't easy! Kudos to you!
  • jmhrn79
    jmhrn79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Figure your BMR then you should add calories above this... Focus on macros which is protein carb and fat to increase weight. 30% 50% and 20% try this for 6 weeks. Do not eat junk and log what you eat. healthy dense foods.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You simply have to eat more. There's no secret to it. It's the same as weight loss just the opposite. If you're truly struggling to gain weight than opt for some pizza or a burger every now and then. During my busy work season along with lifting I have to eat over 4500 calories a day to be in a surplus. Trust me if I can manage to stomach that then you can definitely reach a surplus. It's almost unanimous in the lifting world that working out is the easy part, it's eating enough to gain that really makes us work hard
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    jmhrn79 wrote: »
    Figure your BMR then you should add calories above this... Focus on macros which is protein carb and fat to increase weight. 30% 50% and 20% try this for 6 weeks. Do not eat junk and log what you eat. healthy dense foods.

No.

BMR is basal metabolic Rate, you're lying in bed in a coma rate. She should add 200-300 calories on top of her TDEE, which will be her total calorific needs for the day.
    Calories increase weight, whether they are protein fat or carbohydrate. As long as she's getting her .8g of protein per lb of body weight per day, and adequate fats, she should be fine to gain weight. If she lifted weights it would consist of more muscle.
    There is no junk food, just junk diets. Eat whatever you need OP to get the calories in.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For the next week, log everything you eat into myfitnesspal, to give you an idea of many calories you're eating daily.

Work out the average and make your initial goal to eat 200 calories over your average. That's an extra two slices of bread.

If you don't gain on the extra 200 after 7 days, raise it another 200 and continue until you're gaining.

This method allows you to adjust slowly to the extra food and it will soon become normal being on a higher diet.
  • Ioana_Dumi
    Ioana_Dumi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It also matters how much you work out. I usually ate around 1000 cal per day and didn't work out much. So I figured 1800-1900 should be more than enough to gain some weight, but at the same time I started working out 5-6 days per week (3 days weights, 3 days brisk walks) and that 1900 turned out to be my maintenance.
    It's going to be very hard to start eating a lot all of a sudden. What I found bearable was to increase my calorie intake a little at a time and spread them over 4-6 meals. I also find liquid calories a lot easier to eat.