Not hungry on workout days?

Options
I run 3-4 times a week, between 4 and 10 miles each time. I find that on those days when I run, I don't feel like eating. I don't feel overly hungry, and I have little interest in food. If I eat a meal, I feel full much sooner. But I also often feel lethargic.

A far cry from my non-running days, when I could eat all day if I let myself!

Does anybody else experience this? Or have any idea why it occurs?

Replies

• Aquarii
    Aquarii Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate to refer you to this site instead of some better sources, but here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/278373-does-exercise-suppress-appetite/

If anything, you could browse through the references they got their information from (I didn't, was too lazy).

I don't feel hungry after a cardio session too, but I still force myself to eat afterwards so I can at least hit my macro/micronutrient/fiber goals, and so that my body can recover asap.

Also, do you happen to be drinking a bunch of water during your run? That could be suppressing your appetite too. I'm not saying you should drink less water, it's just that it could also be a factor in your appetite.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No idea why it happens, but I tend to find my appetite suppressed for a few hours at least after my workout. Late that evening though, RAVENOUS!