Lightly active/eat exercise cals?

Options
I walk 7 miles five or six days a week. Not casual walking but fast so it's a workout. I've put my setting on lightly active. Are exercise cals included in the calorie goal or do I eat some of my workout cals back? Thank you

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    if you're set to lightly active then your exercise calories are already mostly factored in.

However 7 miles is more than lightly active so in your case, you will be able to eat more cals should you wish.

7 miles for me is around 16k steps, when I do that my TDEE is around 2100 cals (Fitbit) - I'm petite. But this will give you a guideline.
    I'm set on MFP to lightly active, it gives me 1900 cals and when I do more than 7000 steps it adds to those 1900 cals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise and activity settings are separate.
    I have a sedentary job but burn between 3500 - 6000 cals a week in exercise as an example.

If you are walking for exercise rather than walking as part of lifestyle/job then log it and eat back calories.
    If you selected lighly active because you happen to walk a lot then don't double count them.

Bodyweight (lbs) x 0.3 x distance (miles) will give you a reasonable net calorie estimate.
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks. I put my setting on sedentary then after I put my exercise into MFP and do my garmin negative adjustment and I eat back those exercise calories, it puts me pretty close to my TDEE. I think that should help me maintain.

if you're set to lightly active then your exercise calories are already mostly factored in.

However 7 miles is more than lightly active so in your case, you will be able to eat more cals should you wish.

7 miles for me is around 16k steps, when I do that my TDEE is around 2100 cals (Fitbit) - I'm petite. But this will give you a guideline.
    I'm set on MFP to lightly active, it gives me 1900 cals and when I do more than 7000 steps it adds to those 1900 cals.

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I did that I gained weight. When I set to sedentary and wrote fast walking down I did not. Your mileage may differ. It's an empirical question.