core moves

Options
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me good, effective excercises that work the core? I have a whimpy middle section all-around; stomach and back, that really needs some work before I can hope to up my excercise routine. Feedback would be great if you think you can help me out. :)
Melissa

Replies

• amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    The Plank kicks my butt!!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE belly dancing. GREAT core workout, and it's fun. Builds your sexiness self esteem too! :wink: There are some good dvds out there if you want to try ... Michelle Joyce is really good with beginner instruction :flowerforyou:
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    Try hooping, it works a lot of your core muscles and all you need is a hula hoop and enough space. If you get good enough to move it up your body and around your hands it can turn into a full body workout.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Yoga is very good for your core. Also helps with lean muscle.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I can get a great core workout from just about every exercise that I do- whether its kickboxing, HIIT, running, yoga, pilates,strength training, pushups, or an ab workout. The main thing for me, is making sure I am breathing properly, and tightening my core with every move that I do. I try to make a big effort to be more aware of my core and my abs and make sure that they are involved with every process. But, thats just some little advice. I also have one of those exercise balls and a cool little book that shows different moves to work your core. I'm a big fan of at-home workouts, so I'd also be interested in hearing more about some core moves!
  • 19lissa86
    19lissa86 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these are all really great suggestions. When I went to the gym today I tried planks; they really are tough! Belly dancing sounds like alot of fun too and I've been hoping to make it to some yoga classes. kicklikeaGIRL, you are absolutely right. Actually I'm very concious of the fact that not engaging my core muscles much while I excercise is alot of my problem. I usually don't have any problems working my arms and legs, but I can definately feel that my midsection is not as strong, and it takes alot of concious effort on my part to make sure my posture is good and that I'm doing some of the excercises right.
    Thanks for all the advice, all of these suggestions are very helpful. Thank you. :)