Tips for starting yoga

Options
I've always wanted to start yoga. It seems the ideal exercise as it improves fitness, strength and flexibility. The only problem is there is no yoga classes near where I live and I can't drive to get to any. There is so much information on the internet I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start such as tips they used or youtubers they found great? Thanks! (Feel free to add me as a friend)

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Type yoga for beginners into YouTube and go nuts. Alternatively, if you feel like paying, join daily burn, or one of the yoga specific sites.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are also some free yoga apps available on the Android market that I use. (yoga and pilates)
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have lower back and hip issues and started doyogawithme for hips, hamstrings, and lower back. I've done that video for a couple of years and it's helped to relieve pain and open things up. Next I downloaded the daily yoga app, used it on my phone and tablet both, just the free version. Now I've gotten hooked on YouTube Yoga with Adrienne. I do go to the Y about once a week for a class, but the online stuff has made a huge difference in my yoga practice. I have noticed a huge change in my flexibility, but I've a long way to go.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Try Grokker. Its an online site that offers hundreds of different types of videos that are free and you can upgrade to premium videos for a cost....
    My preference for yoga is going to a class so that the instructor can fix something if my alignment is off but if you cant do that this is next best thing!
  • mandyplz
    mandyplz Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I really like Yoga with Kassandra on youtube. Also if you're looking to read current info on yoga in the news etc check out yogadork.com. Good luck and Namaste!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I use Fitstar Yoga! :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yoga With Adriene on Youtube is great.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd suggest finding a way to go to a few in person classes first. Get your form right, then use the ones you can stream.