Does anyone use a pedometer?

Options
Im on my feet all day in a busy kitchen at work. I use a pedometer app and have it set to a low sensitivity setting so its only counting the steps I take. I take about 10-12,000 steps a day and burn about 500 calories on a good day. Does anyone else burn this much? I just hope its accurate because I do enter into my diary.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks here use step counters of various sorts. Be careful you're not double-counting - if your activity level is set to sedentary you're OK. If higher than that, your steps should already be accounted for in your activity level.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Lots of folks here use step counters of various sorts. Be careful you're not double-counting - if your activity level is set to sedentary you're OK. If higher than that, your steps should already be accounted for in your activity level.

This^

MFP already gives you "credit" for some steps in your activity level. Instead of logging all the calories you might bump up your activity level.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I use Pacer, set my activity level to sedentary, and enable negative calorie adjustment. :)
  • mermaid2290
    mermaid2290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I use Pacer, set my activity level to sedentary, and enable negative calorie adjustment. :)

What is the negative calorie adjustment?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Im on my feet all day in a busy kitchen at work. I use a pedometer app and have it set to a low sensitivity setting so its only counting the steps I take. I take about 10-12,000 steps a day and burn about 500 calories on a good day. Does anyone else burn this much? I just hope its accurate because I do enter into my diary.

I do use a pedometer. I have a minimum number of steps I want to get every day. I do not log the calorie burn number from the pedometer as exercise. I walk 30-60 minutes specifically for exercise and I log that. I do a workout video for exercise and I log that.
  • TeaBea
    edited March 2016
    Options

If you have a pedometer that syncs to MFP (Pacer, FitBit, Withings, etc) then you could turn on a setting for negative calorie adjustment. Check the APPS menu above for your device.

What syncing does.....it compares your stated MFP activity level, with the actual activity level on your device. Then the act of syncing could give you more calories based on actual steps.

Allowing negative adjustments would keep you honest. On days when you didn't meet your MFP activity level, syncing would take calories away.
  • mermaid2290
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

If you have a pedometer that syncs to MFP (Pacer, FitBit, Withings, etc) then you could turn on a setting for negative calorie adjustment. Check the APPS menu above for your device.

What syncing does.....it compares your stated MFP activity level, with the actual activity level on your device. Then the act of syncing could give you more calories based on actual steps.

Allowing negative adjustments would keep you honest. On days when you didn't meet your MFP activity level, syncing would take calories away.

Thank you!
  • mermaid2290
    Options

Not finding the setting for negative calorie adj.
  • TeaBea
    edited March 2016
    Options

It's a check box...........

Under the SETTINGS menu. From the HOME or EXERCISE tabs

You'll see Nutrients Tracked on top

On the bottom is a check box to enable negative calories.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My FitGear tracks but it doesn't synch to MFP (just my Samsung phone), I had a simple NewBalance pedometer and I gave it to my mom to use, that I could synch up via usb to my computer for it to show stats.
  • mermaid2290
    Options

Do you have to beva premium member for that? Im not finding it
  • TeaBea
    edited March 2016
    Options

Do you have to beva premium member for that? Im not finding it

You don't need premium. I'll try to explain better.

There are 2 blue Menus - 1 above & 1 below. You are looking for 1 below.

Make sure you are not on the (above) COMMUNITY menu (Settings doesn't show up there). Click on FOOD (above menu) and look for SETTINGS (below) it's on the right (next to Premium). Click on SETTINGS and the check box is almost to the bottom.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have a "dumb" pedometer I got from work. It is part of program to earn points, which translate into dollars into our HRA. It doesn't sync to anything and I don't try to account for calories from getting more steps. I just use it as a tool to encourage me not to spend all day sitting around.