Can't see any changes 3 months in

Options
Hi.
I have been dieting and exercising for nearly 3 months. I have lost a stone but my eyes clothes and mirror don't agree. I still have a flabby belly, fat thighs etc. It's really disheartening. Anyone know why this is? I'd of thought that after a stone I would be able to see a change. Thanks

Replies

• DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Did you take before and after pictures? Sometimes it's hard to see in the mirror.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Beth_Marshall Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No. I wish I had done. My clothes don't feel looser either though so it's not just the mirror
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice significant changes until I lost 30-40 pounds. You'll get there.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've always been an avid exerciser but wanted to really kick it up this year and started on an intense meal plan. After quick success to start, I've sort of come to a standstill which has caused frustration and a lack of commitment to the process. It's hard to not see what you want to see in the mirror...and continue to do what you know will EVENTUALLY get you results. We want immediate reward. That's just how humans are built. Anyhow...I revamped my workout schedule to intensify things a bit and recommitted to the diet last night. Made the decision, no more cheating. Do this, commit until June...and if it hasn't gotten you results...reassess then. This is a journey, though; a marathon, not a race. We do what we have to and really stick to that plan, we will get there! :)
  • dogs_n_wine
    dogs_n_wine Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging everything accurately? The way to weight loss ultimately comes down to calorie deficit. Do you know your BMR? If not, here is a link to calculate it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
    If you aren't creating a deficit, you won't drop any lbs. Have you been exercising as well? 3 months is a long time to diet with no results. What are your meals like?
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    I'm eating around 1300 calories a day and exercising for 45 mins 5 times a week.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Starting weight? Current weight? Goal weight? How tall are you?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much weight you have to lose. I was able to tell after I'd lost about 10 lbs, with it being extremely obvious at 20 lbs to the point that I have no work clothes that fit anymore. My boyfriend has lost 20 lbs and TBH it's not particularly noticeable. But, he is a lot heavier and has a lot more to lose.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and started at 10 stone 8lb. I am now 9 stone 7lb and have another stone to go.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    larger clothing sizes are more forgiving, to give more room for extra weight. it takes a while to move out of those sizes. as you lose weight, the difference is sizes goes quicker. it probably took 20 pounds or so when i first started to get from a 22 to 20. now, at a 12, sizing changes about every 10 pounds, but it also depends on WHERE it comes off (which you have no control over).

get in the habit of taking measurements every month or so. sometimes that tells you more than the scale.
  • JTD2803
    JTD2803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way but this morning I measured this morning and I was 1 1/2 inch down in my waist but no pounds down. I will take the inches over pounds any day.
  • Beth_Marshall
    Options
    It's just so frustrating. I'm not nor was I that overweight but I look about 5 months pregnant I just want it gone but it's not budging
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging everything accurately? The way to weight loss ultimately comes down to calorie deficit. Do you know your BMR? If not, here is a link to calculate it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
    If you aren't creating a deficit, you won't drop any lbs. Have you been exercising as well? 3 months is a long time to diet with no results. What are your meals like?

The OP said they lost 1 stone but it doesn't show on the outside. Your post seems like the automated replies I see in this forum after every post :) Maybe at least read the post first?

Beth, I think 1 stone is way too little to notice. It depends on your weight and the larger the harder to see the difference. I've lost almost a stone too now and I don't have any measurement difference at all - waist, hips and thigh are all the same as before. Just wait a little longer.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    larger clothing sizes are more forgiving, to give more room for extra weight. it takes a while to move out of those sizes. as you lose weight, the difference is sizes goes quicker. it probably took 20 pounds or so when i first started to get from a 22 to 20. now, at a 12, sizing changes about every 10 pounds, but it also depends on WHERE it comes off (which you have no control over).

get in the habit of taking measurements every month or so. sometimes that tells you more than the scale.

This, and take some measurements! And if you haven't already why not take some photos too.

14 lbs on someone obese (I should know) isn't going to look like a lot. But you should be really proud about that loss over 3 months.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I honestly think our minds play tricks on us. When I look in the mirror I don't see 'me' as others see 'me'. So it can be hard to recognize the physical change. Take pictures. That way you can compare them side by side.

And personally I had bad posture. After I started working on my posture I became able to 'see' the difference. Perhaps because there was MORE physical changing?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I honestly think our minds play tricks on us.

Totally! Last year while I was still gaining the weight I'm trying to lose now it so happened that in the house I lived there was no full size mirror. Also I didn't have my scale with me. So as was gaining I would look down to my legs and think "ah it is not that bad". A year later I saw myself naked in a full size motor and I was in shock. What I was used to see looking down had nothing to do with the mirror image. I was FAT! It was amazing. I look down - looks fine, look up - fat! All because I was so used to seeing myself from this perspective every day and my mind interpreted it incorrectly. I thought I was getting crazy for real. The difference was huge :) After a while, and living in a house with a mirror the two images got the same... Crazy stuff...