For those who have lost over 150 pounds

Options
For those who have lost over 150 pounds, how long did it take you?

I'm simply trying to create a realistic expectation. Yes, I know everyone's different :-)

Replies

• mattreadfx
    mattreadfx Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Took about 3 years of doing it slowly and easily

eat less crap food - eat more fruit & veg
    - move more x 10
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    4 years to lose 173#. Year 2 I was struggling to not develop a full-blown ED - I was refusing to eat foods and at restaurants that didn't have nutritional info - and year 3 I went the opposite direction with a "There's no info on it, so no calories!" mentality. My loss when averaged out is on par, but those 2 years were frustrating. Took me a while to find a WOE that worked for me and wasn't something be shoved in my face as "you have to eat this way or remain a fatty mcfatterson forever". What helped me was asking myself, "Can I never eat a donut for the next 40 years?" (This was when no sugar/no carbs/sugar is evil was surging on MFP and LoseIt!. I had many people tell me the only way for me to lose was to stop eating sugary foods.) The answer was no.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the 3 year range to lose 170-180 pounds. Started at 340-ish lb, somewhere around 38% body fat, lowest point was 157lb, 12% body fat (measured by the bathroom scale, but it's a consistent measurement method for me, so I watched general trend, not the specific number, per se). It was not a good look on me. I've since rebounded to 170±2lb and 16%-ish body fat. Much happier now.

Slow but steady, no tricks, no gimmicks, no pills, no surgeries other than to remove the loose skin when I was "done." Maintained my sanity by not giving up any of the stuff you "have to give up" to lose weight. Still ate out at restaurants, still ate ice cream and pizza and drank beer. Started running so I could eat more.

Only thing I would go back and do differently would be to have started some kind of strength training earlier in my weight loss. I lost a lot of muscle mass along with all the fat.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    20 months 160#. No gimmicks, surgery or pills either. Moderation in all foods and staying within calorie budget. Log everything I eat and drink. No cheat days, but holidays I tried a little of everything and logged it. Lost 100# before I began to even walk more. Have had a fit bit for 3 years. I get at least 20K everyday. Maintenance for 28 months.
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It took me 20 months to lose 180+ pounds.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Very helpful!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My goal is 151 loss, currently at 134 after 21 months. I hoped to hit -151 by 2 years, but I think it will take a couple months longer. Good luck!
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90lbs in the last 7 months but still have about 50 to go
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know it's not #150 but to give you more perspective...
    I lost just under 100 9 months. I gained back some and sort of maintained for several years.. then I lost 60 but regained 30 after a divorce. Now I'm back to loosing the last of the weight I need to which may be around 100 pounds. And for what it's worth.. although the end goal might seem unbearable, your happiness starts as soon as the weight starts coming off. You will start feeling better little by little every day until you get to the point where 'loosing weight' is no longer an active task .. you are just living :)
  • spookycomet
    spookycomet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This post above -- is very true. I'm still 20 lbs from goal after losing 79 lbs but my happiness and confidence started much earlier in the process when I realized I could get a handle on weight loss, and then as eating healthier became a part of my life, the food bumps in the road were more manageable.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    8.5 months to go from 340 to 185. I am 35/M/6'5"
  • letitbe8807
    letitbe8807 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds in 14 months. Trying to be at goal 180 pounds lost by 24 months.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    8.5 months to go from 340 to 185. I am 35/M/6'5"

WOW.

What did you do? How large of a calorie deficit? Exercise?
  • Microscopes
    Options
    This post above -- is very true. I'm still 20 lbs from goal after losing 79 lbs but my happiness and confidence started much earlier in the process when I realized I could get a handle on weight loss, and then as eating healthier became a part of my life, the food bumps in the road were more manageable.

Definitely makes sense.

Thank you to latitude11courtney.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    18.5 months to lose 150 pounds.