help needed ibs

My doctor thinks i have ibs what to eat &what not to eat and how to lose weight ?

Replies

• jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    I would talk to your doctor more in depth about the issue. They typically have a course of action that they recommend, but there is a great resource through the Gastrointestinal Disorders Foundation (http://www.aboutibs.org/site/treatment/diet/) that talks about the causes and some tips for potentially lessening symptoms. Unfortunately, not all IBS is even tied to what you eat :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I imagine you will find out through trial and error. You may be surprised that foods which agree with you go against conventional advice. For instance, you may find refined flour products like noodles agree with you more than high fiber offerings. Listen to your gut. Eat what agrees with you.

You can still lose weight by controlling your portions, and an inexpensive scale and MFP can help with that.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    IBS is a very individualised condition when it comes to what food aggravates it. I have had IBS for twenty years now and the only things I couldn't tolerate for the majority of that time were pasta and if I ate too much bread/potato. Cue bloating and frequent toilet trips. I was absolutely fine with spicy food, vegetables, fruit and coffee. In the last year however I can no longer tolerate bananas or coffee, (I loved coffee!!!). The symptoms are not as severe but the bloating was just unbelievable. I totally agree with @jgnatca you will need to 'trial and error it' as what suits you may not suit another individual and vice versa. Listen to your body.
    Having said that I never had an issue with losing weight as the same premise is there CICO - calories in v calories out!

Good luck!
  • kazzykazz75
    kazzykazz75 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks some much i know i carnt eat high fiber as that makes me so ill and bread and pasta .