need tips how to avoid urges when you can't help but be around them

Options
Since i live in my own apartment while i go to college and my fiance lives 1.5 hours away, it's easy to eat healthy and moderately when I'm by myself, but next week is spring break and we'll be camping together with some friends pretty much all week. I know there will be lots of unhealthy snacks (smores!!) And i have had a binging problem in the past so I am scared I will totally fall off the wagon.
Hiking is a big plus, but i would rather avoid as much junk as possible. Any tips?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Make sure you pack yourself lots of healthy snacks. When you want to reach for a smore, fill up on your snacks instead. Don't be afraid to allow yourself a little treat though. You still have to live, right?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How about just planning some in and enjoying it. I am a binge eater and avoiding completely in situations like that is more likely to make me go crazy if I cave. Instead I'll plan to make one smores sandwich or have two cookies or whatever the treats are. I save it for the end of the day, make sure I eat it slowly, and then drink water after I am done with it to help wash the taste out.

ETA: It's only one week. Make sure you are active as you can be and just enjoy spring break with the people you care about.
  • Calamity_Jenn
    Calamity_Jenn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After visiting my sister, I gained almost 4 lbs in 3 days. I decided I wouldn't deny myself the garlic bread during dinner, and the delicious chocolates and fresh pretzels at the Amish market...and now I'm paying for it. Instead of filling up with lots of water to curb my appetite and eating mindfully, I kind of just said "screw it, I'm still working out, so I can splurge and it won't be too bad." Wrong!!

I've been a binge eater for as long as I can remember, so once I get going and have a taste, its super hard to stop. Pack your healthy snacks and try not to mess with any of the junk. I know you're going to be outdoors a lot, but try to fill up on water to minimize how much you consume if you do decide to treat yourself to the camp snacks.

Best of luck!!!
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely go into the week with a plan. And make sure the plan includes yummy stuff. Maybe just try to eat at maintenance for the week? I have to always remind myself, "I can eat that, but I don't want to."
  • vannyn42
    vannyn42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I suggest you pack some healthy trail mix and Quest bars, crystal lite to mix with water so you can have something a bit tastier other than water.

Also, bring some jerky, it's a good high protein snack.

For something salty, I love Skinnypop popcorn and Calbee Snappea chips.
  • alipie420
    alipie420 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice, very helpful!! I will try some of the snacks you suggested and i will definitely have a plan! I will have to just write what i eat and have to log it later, can i go back on a previous day to add foods?
  • SarahJeanine1
    SarahJeanine1 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, you can go back to previous days to log. If you know you won't have access to your computer/phone, bring a paper log and type it in when you get home. Best of luck!
    alipie420 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the advice, very helpful!! I will try some of the snacks you suggested and i will definitely have a plan! I will have to just write what i eat and have to log it later, can i go back on a previous day to add foods?