Breastfeeding Calorie Question

Options
I am struggling with my last 5-10 pounds of baby weight. I'm wondering if I'm not one of those that's destined to get it off really slowly. And that would be okay, but I've hit a plateau for the past month and a half. I was on 1500 cals roughly, but I soon found that I was shaky, lightheaded, and dizzy. Also my milk supply dropped off and left my baby hungry. So I quit counting cals until my milk supply went up. I'm roughly eating 2,000cals a day when I go by my appetite.

I'm just wondering what should be my calories to give me even half a pound of weight loss a week. I'd take that over nothing! I am 5'4", 125 pounds. I would consider myself pretty active since I am a stay-at-home mom of five children ages 8 and under. I just started running a mile 4-6days a week. And I do all the usual cleaning and laundry, grocery shopping, etc. But I also do alot of outside work since I have 2 vegetable produce gardens to keep up and then I can/freeze all the vegetables.

So am I too high, too low, or what? Anybody had success with losing weight while breastfeeding and still keep up their milk supply?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Continue eating 2000 calories. Nursing burns approximately 500 calories a day, so you will loose anyway. If you are still struggling with those last few pounds when baby is 6 months, then reduce your calories more, because the baby will be eating solids then anyway.

Until you start feeding the baby solids, you must make sure your milk supply is enough for the baby.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you are BF full time then you need to add it about 500 calories a day for milk production. If your baby is on some solids then it is about 300-400 calories. So it does sound like you were underestimating yourself. I would receommend putting you weight loss at 1lb/week, add an exercise for BF each day, and make sure your actvity level in your profile reflects what you do. Make sure to add it whatever calories you burn running back in and eat those calories.

I hope it works out for you. Great job on the weight loss so far.
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    According to my calculations your BMI is 21.5 which is extremely healthy and you should not lose any more weight. If you are feeling flabby after your baby, it's probably just that your abdominal muscles need toned up. try doing abdomminal crunches and sit ups - and don't forget your pelvic floor exercises!
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    1500 calories/day was way too low considering the average breastfeeding mom burns 500 extra calories per day just making milk.

I lost all my weight breastfeeding my babies (was at my very lightest after about 3 months, until I weaned them at 1 year & gained a little back) and was eating close to 2500 calories per day and had a good milk supply, judging from how chubby my daughters got :) (They are lean now) Anyway, it's possible, but the milk supply is more important than weight loss right now.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey, Mama! It's me! I think you're super active and then adding BFing into the mix, I think you'd need at least 2000 cals by the sounds of things. I would try to log every activity you do and see how many cals that gives you. Also, the closer you are to your goal weight, the smaller the calorie deficit should be (meaning you should be adding back more cals in your diet as you go along). I'm thinking you may just need to be eating more, as weird as it may sound. You may need to start playing w/cals again for a few weeks to see what happens.

One last thing is to make sure your sodium is in check (you're probably on top of this already though). I find I really have to keep an eye on it. Even though I usually eat below the recommended sodium intake, I find I still need to drink a lot of water to flush it out of my system in order to see my weight drop.

125 is a great weight, especially if you're not small-boned (not sure if you are or not but I definitely am). You're soooooo close to your goal! Congrats on being at a great weight so soon after delivering your sweet little one!

Hope this helps!!! :flowerforyou:
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Jen, how do you know if you are small-boned? I read somewhere on here something about putting your fingers around your wrist. I normally would call myself medium-framed, but not sure now.

Edit: I just did what you suggested. I put in that I was sedentary, which gave me 1200cals. Then I put in roughly all the activiites I do during the day and it gave me 800+ exercise cals, not including breastfeeding. Am I doing this right? If I add in 500 for bf'ing, that puts me around 2,300. Ack!!! I don't think I can make myself eat that much without feeling stuffed!

On another note, I'm going to try watching my sodium intake. I haven't been doing that very well - in fact, my diet isn't nearly as clean as yours, Jen. But I'll keep plugging away at it. I think I'll stick around 2,000cals, run every day I can, and watch my sodium. And drink my water!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing it right. To get some of the calories in try eating some higher calories things like nuts and advocados. Healthy fats and you can get your calories in.

I hope it works out for you.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Jen, how do you know if you are small-boned? I read somewhere on here something about putting your fingers around your wrist. I normally would call myself medium-framed, but not sure now.

Edit: I just did what you suggested. I put in that I was sedentary, which gave me 1200cals. Then I put in roughly all the activiites I do during the day and it gave me 800+ exercise cals, not including breastfeeding. Am I doing this right? If I add in 500 for bf'ing, that puts me around 2,300. Ack!!! I don't think I can make myself eat that much without feeling stuffed!

On another note, I'm going to try watching my sodium intake. I haven't been doing that very well - in fact, my diet isn't nearly as clean as yours, Jen. But I'll keep plugging away at it. I think I'll stick around 2,000cals, run every day I can, and watch my sodium. And drink my water!!

That's how I figured I was small-boned...When I wrap my fingers around my wrist between the wrist bone and hand (the small part), my fingers definitely overlap. If they meet but don't overlap, you're medium-build and if they don't touch, you've got a large frame.

It sounds like you're really busy and burning a TON of cals. I don't do much and my "exercise" cals are coming from BFing, cooking and cleaning although I try to get in a bit of Wii Fit + here and there. I'm kind of a slug lately, lol! I eat about 1600 - 2000 cals depending on the day and how many cals I get from exercise. Everyone is different so I'm not sure how many cals will work for you but you may want to throw in some higher calorie food days to keep your body guessing (which should increase your metab). I heard also that changing up the food/times you eat your food will increase your metab as well.

I'm not sure if any of this info helps but I think you're on the right path! I'm so proud of you for doing all you do! Running, veggie garden, all those kiddos... You're Super Mama! Good luck! :flowerforyou: