What formula does MFP use?

Options
I cant seem to replicate it on any other BMR/TDEE formula?

And does it not take into consideration exercise/movement? Cause my steps taken ups my calories allowed. I'm confused.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    NEAT. It's TDEE without your exercise added in. If you get more calories from your steps it means you set your activity level lower than it actually is.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It uses NEAT. Exercise is not included in the formula. Just daily activity (based on your activity selection) and BMR. They use Mifflin-St Jeor for the BMR estimate.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe I set it up wrong.

I chose sedentary, with 2 workouts per week.

I walk about 3,000 steps per day and do weight training 3 days per week.

I picked "2 workouts" because I didnt know whether it was asking for cardio or what.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I picked "2 workouts" because I didnt know whether it was asking for cardio or what.

That doesn't impact your calorie goal. It just creates a goal for your exercise log, but you don't get any calories until you actually log the exercise.

Example to show that the workout goal doesn't effect calories:
    v0va8y7k0rpm.png
    j8n4dbvjdq0k.png
    1.PNG 17.4K
    2.PNG 17.8K
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options

That doesn't impact your calorie goal. It just creates a goal for your exercise log, but you don't get any calories until you actually log the exercise.

Example to show that the workout goal doesn't effect calories:
    v0va8y7k0rpm.png
    j8n4dbvjdq0k.png

OH.

Gotcha.

Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The 2 workouts are just a goal reminder for you they are not taken into account as far as your calorie goal is concerned.

NEAT means Non Activity Exercise Thermogenesis. MFP takes into account your daily activity only.
    3000 steps is considered sedentary, over 5000, I think, is light activity.

Enter your weight training, the calories burnt is in the cardio section, the weight section is just to log your lifts reps sets and weights.

Eat back 50-75% of the calories you burned through exercise, MFP overestimates the burn, and adjust that number if you are losing too fast or too slow.

Cheers, h.