How to speed up metabolism?

Options
Anyone know of how to speed up your metabolism? I'm completely new to this kind of stuff and I honestly have no clue what is true and what's complete BS. And have diet pills helped anyone out? I've never taken them, but I'm kind of curious as to if they help with your metabolism. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    You don't need to speed up your metabolism. That's a BS point that often gets thrown about. Same with diet pills. You don't need them.

Input your stats (height, weight, activity level, etc.) into MFP to come up with a calorie goal. Log your food and try to hit that goal every day. If you exercise, eat some of those exercise calories back as they are not built into the MFP calorie goal. Give it some time (a few weeks at least). Make adjustments from there. The hardest part of this isn't sifting through the nonsense and weight loss myths, it's learning to have patience.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Either gain muscle mass or exercise. There's no way/ food/ supplement that can really increase metabolism to an optimal level
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    You don't need to speed up your metabolism. That's a BS point that often gets thrown about. Same with diet pills. You don't need them.

Input your stats (height, weight, activity level, etc.) into MFP to come up with a calorie goal. Log your food and try to hit that goal every day. If you exercise, eat some of those exercise calories back as they are not built into the MFP calorie goal. Give it some time (a few weeks at least). Make adjustments from there. The hardest part of this isn't sifting through the nonsense and weight loss myths, it's learning to have patience.

+1
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

+2

Read some of these, and beware words and phrases that could apply to either a toxic waste dump or alien attack video game. (Ex. "shock" metabolism, detox, cleanse).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    Can't be done, at least not in any legal healthy way. Your metabolism is just fine, if it wasn't, either fast or slow, you would be under medical care and neither are good things health wise.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You can't really speed up your metabolism (at least not in a safe or legal way). What you can do is boost your total daily energy expenditure, and the way to do that is simply to be more active. Going from sedentary to moderate physical activity will increase your daily energy expenditure by about 20%.
  • Rotti548
    Rotti548 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is really boosting your metabolism but should help. Cut back on the 3 S's: sugar, starch and salt. Also try to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day instead of the normal 3 larger meals. Kick in a little exercise and you should be in business. Your body will burn this more efficiently. Diet is 90% of weight loss and pills won't cut it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,133 Member
    Options
    Rotti548 wrote: »
    This is really boosting your metabolism but should help. Cut back on the 3 S's: sugar, starch and salt. Also try to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day instead of the normal 3 larger meals. Kick in a little exercise and you should be in business. Your body will burn this more efficiently. Diet is 90% of weight loss and pills won't cut it.

Cutting those three Ss will make no difference in metabolism, and assuming a calorie deficit and no medical condition that requires avoiding them, there is no reason to cut them back severely.

4-6 meals a day will also make no difference in metabolism at all. Eat whatever meal pattern works to help with long term compliance with your calorie goal.

Exercise will raise total daily energy expenditure, but other than muscle gain which really doesn't happen in a significant way for people in a calorie deficit, it will not increase metabolism.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Get moving! I've heard that interval training helps. Like jog 3 minutes then sprint for 1 & some gyms offer classes where you switch stations every 2 minutes. You could probably find some workouts on you tube too.
    I personally don't believe in diet pills but if it comes from Mother Nature I'm willing to experiment. Things like cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, maca & turmeric are all supposed to help with metabolism & there's a supplement called garçinia too. But do talk to a dr 1st before trying something new.