Has anyone had their BMR calculated?

Options
The gym I use is also a rehab facility and they offer BMR testing.

Anyone try this? And if so did you see much difference between your personal result and the BMR calculators (like the one here on MFP)?

I love numbers and it's always fun to have more data. I think it costs under $50, so not really expensive, but thought I'd ask for some real-life results before signing up.

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've had mine tested through an inbody scan, dexa, and online calculators. Online calculators gave me between 1,600 and 1,650 kcal, inbody gave me 1,600 kcal, and dexa gave me 1,800 kcal.

I wouldn't pay money to get this specifically tested because 1. I wouldn't trust the result to be accurate and 2. it isn't a very useful metric for me, given that I have been logging for months so I can estimate my TDEE anyway, which for me is a more relevant figure.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Unless you are looking for a medical condition it isn't worth wasting your money on. For most people BMR is just a stepping stone towards estimating what CO so they can set CI. Once you collect a few weeks of solid information estimating or even measuring BMR is completely useless as you can estimate CO (to close enough accuracy for what matters) based on actual measure of CI and weight lost.
  • gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both for taking the time to comment. I think you're both right, especially since I'm losing a little along, and I'll skip the test for now.

Thank you again!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had mine done years ago with something called Body Gem. I looked up my BMR from the test and calculated my BMR from my weight at the time with on line calculators, they pretty much line up to be the same.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had it done as part of a metabolic assessment. The BMR was easy and was pretty close to calculated, but lower. I also had an active metabolic test done and that was one of the most intense workouts I have ever had. It was neat to see my metabolic rate at various heart rates and create training programs based around it. But I doubt I would ever do it again.
  • gmoo150
    gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info! Good to have another vote that the test and calculator were nearly the same. The active metabolic test sounds very interesting -- bet it was grueling!

I've learned so much from reading about fitness here on MFP -- thanks to all who take the time to answer questions!!