Could anyone help me out? I'm new to fitness and don't quiet know what I'm doing

Options
erus91
erus91 Posts: 8 Member
Hi guys! I'm a newbie here and also new to fitness.
I've just decided to get fit no matter what it takes as I've had enough of my body.
Not to sure where to start?! Should I be doing weight training or cardio? I'm really confused

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your fitness goals are.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I agree that that really depends on your fitness goals. :)

Honestly you can never go wrong in my opinion with weight training and cardio together. Both are beneficial for different reasons and both can aid with each other as well.

Feel free to add me if you would like. I'm still figuring things out myself but I'm always willing to help when I can if its something I might now. o:)
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You should do both! How much depends on your goals e.g. getting stronger, building muscle or losing weight. First thing is use the app to track what you eat over a week, see if you can maintain your required calories
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's good to have a balance between the two. Cardio is the best way to burn calories, which will allow you to eat more and keep a deficit between calories in and calories out, and it's good for your heart. Strength training will help you build endurance and muscle, which helps you to burn fat more efficiently in the future. (Don't worry about building too much muscle and looking like a bodybuilder - it takes a lot of discipline and planning to build that amount of muscle.)

If you are looking to lose weight, the most important thing you can do is track your calories and burn more calories than you take in, and MFP can help you determine what that is for you based on your height, weight and general activity level.
  • theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do both. Hit the cardio (treadmill, bike, row, whatever) and look up a weight training program...don't try to design your own. Check out 5x5 stronglifts.
  • erus91
    erus91 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the reply:
  • hazelgoddess
    hazelgoddess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It might sound cheesy but I bought a biggest lose work out dvd called power x-train.. it's both strength and cardio work out ..I love it! Since I'm clueless in the gym this helped me out! Feel free to add me too, I'm always down for new friends!
  • Rotti548
    Rotti548 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like. I'd be glad to help
  • Jay_Maddy
    Jay_Maddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you have the time and access to YouTube. Check out Feeding fitness, it's a well of knowledge for experienced and new people alike. I've learned so much about nutrition etc..
    Feel free to add me as well.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to loose weight and tone, I do not suggest doing 5x5's. I would do 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps for each exercise. Look up Jen Heward's You Tube channel. She is a fitness model, and has some really good content. There are a lot of other good channels as well.