Younger girls/women: clothes ideas needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
My daughter is in her early teens and has gained the last year a bit of weight, all around her tummy. She is currently working on changing her diet, but it will obviously take some time. In the meantime, her shape is a bit awkward: she is tall, still her body is mostly childish (barely a cup A, narrow hips, slim legs, round belly), a bit like an overgrown toddler. At the same time, she is starting to get more interested in her looks, so I can see she is getting upset about not being able to find clothes that flatter her. Any ideas? Leggings work well and loose t-shirts or shirts, but I can see she wants something more "exciting".

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Tunic dresses, jersey skater skirts and baby doll dresses will all work with an apple shape.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I hope you didn't tell her she needs to diet. My daughter went through this last year and then slimmed down this year- naturally. Oh she noticed the tummy but I told her she was perfect and just encouraged healthy food. It is a natural part of puberty for them to gain weight after they start their period. And it seems like all belly! But over the course of a year my daughter totally lost her belly.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh and just take her to Kohls and let her try stuff on. I did that with my girl. Bought new bras and everything and it boosted her confidence. Dresses, shorts, empire waist shirts, anything she feels good in.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Skater dresses are the best type of dress and as long as she doesn't wear clothes that are tight fitting around the stomach I'm sure she'll feel better about her shape
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You just have to find the right fit/ look for her that's flattering. There are lots of ideas on Pinterest in teen fashion. Depending on your climate leggings and big sweaters maybe the thing. Accessories that draw attention elsewhere like jewelry, hair accessories, or boots. Around here the thing is skinny pencil post jeans with tall boots and a loose sweater or flowing blouse with one of those drop leaf looking sweater jacket things ( I don't know it's actual name) for summer I'd do shorts or skirts with a nice loose top. Tunic style dresses or a line type dresses may be better on her shape but not all dresses look good so you'll have to see. Or have her make some clothes! It's fun and you create your own designs!
  • srwoodson999
    srwoodson999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My teen daughter was the same, she is slimming down now that she's through puberty. Fortunately the current fashions are pretty forgiving for this body type -- skater dresses, a-line dresses, tunics over jeggings, flowy oversized tops, skinny jeans and boots...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Black skinny jeans/jeggings with a flowy shirt but add a jean vest. You can use the vest with skater dresses as well and it adds a cool look while hiding the tummy a bit, especially if you want to put it over a slimmer fitting dress.
  • meredithdelcastillo
    meredithdelcastillo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think she really needs to just play with different styles and see what looks best on her. I used to be heavier when I was young and it was the worst feeling in the world to not feel pretty or comfortable. You can always go to consignment stores that have a lot of unique clothes that aren't so expensive. I think ultimately it's about what she feels good in.