Is changing your goal 'cheating'?

Options
2»

Replies

• BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been on a higher calorie goal (1980) for a few days now - and strangely have been coming in just under most days, but am way happier with more energy! I think some of it was the mental block of not being 'allowed' because something would take me over the calorie goal - but now if I want something it's easier to work into the daily allowance. I haven't weighed myself in ages and am going to wait a few more weeks before I do again, but having more energy has meant I've been moving more anyway so think it was definitely the right thing to be doing! Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at a 1 pound per week loss. I haven't been successful at sticking to the 2 pound per week. It's definitely not cheating. It's still a calorie deficit!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    BigAnnieG wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I've been on a higher calorie goal (1980) for a few days now - and strangely have been coming in just under most days, but am way happier with more energy! I think some of it was the mental block of not being 'allowed' because something would take me over the calorie goal - but now if I want something it's easier to work into the daily allowance. I haven't weighed myself in ages and am going to wait a few more weeks before I do again, but having more energy has meant I've been moving more anyway so think it was definitely the right thing to be doing! Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)

I really think there is so much to this...

When I started I was set at 1200 (I'm 5'2 so a foot shorter than you OP) and could never hit that goal, it was far too restrictive. When I raised it to 1400, then 1500, it was much more reasonable for me, and knowing that I could stay within that goal kept me motivated and I was losing 1 lb/week eating back all my exercise calories as well.

Fast forward about 2 years when I had hit my goal weight but really wanted to lose a little more (just for even numbers sake). I plateaued for months and finally figured that my body was just telling me it was time to switch to maintenance. I did, and upped my calorie goal again, but suddenly found myself losing again. I was more active and found it easier to stay within my goal again. So now I'm actually 7 lbs below my original goal weight and happily maintaining.

So no, I don't think it is cheating. I think it is setting a reasonable goal that you will be able to adhere to for long term success. Good for you for realizing like many of us that this doesn't have to be a miserable process!

Good luck!
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Realistically, you aren't going to spend the rest of your life eating the same number of calories every day. Once you're in the maintenance stage, having a feeling of where you are at this week or month will be at least as useful as knowing how much food you can have for 1450 calories or whatever. I personally adjust my goals as needed, do maintenance weeks etc. It's just being honest with yourself.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've changed mine several times. I started out eating 1450 (5'10 295lbs on Jan 1st..new year recommitment) and was losing like crazy, but I was so hungry and it lead to snacking and guilt. So up to 1780 now. Steadily losing and feeling good. Down 75 total and down 28 since Jan 1st
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    A smaller deficit is healthier and easier to maintain, so you don't continuously fall off the wagon.