5'8" Women weight goal?

Options

Replies

• Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    vohme74tmyp6.jpg

This is me at 175 pounds, I think 15 less would look perfect, get rid of the last bits of flab, according to BMI, I could lose 50 pounds and still be healthy. 50 pounds??! That's like a huge bag of dog food, where would it even come off? Goes to show I guess, how different it is for everyone!
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 164 right now (started at 185), and I can definitely tell I've got at least another 20 to go to not be so flabby. I'm not comfortable in a bikini just yet - little too much body fat. Maybe someone at 160 and 5'7"-5'8" might look okay if they were very fit/muscular (that's not me, yet!), but that's definitely on the upper end of normal. Different people like different looks, though. I can't imagine myself at 115, but maybe it looks good on some people our height? Again, that's on the very, very low side of normal. My goal is to be somewhere in the middle - anywhere between 135-145 is where I'm planning on heading. I say, as long as your goal is somewhere near the healthy range, then stop worrying about other people and pick a weight that you're comfortable with that you will be able to maintain.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and can't imagine being 115 lbs. That sounds ...unhealthy. It's definitely model-thin.

I want to be in the 130's but it may be unrealistic for me. I constantly have to balance the fact that I love sweets & snacking (while watching basketball or movies) with wanting to see the 130's. I would take 139, and I saw it for about 15 minutes, lol. I can maintain between 140-142 without too much difficulty...

But I still have the flab gut, so I'm increasing strength training to help with that. The eternal battle.

OP - you look great at 175! Your weight is so nicely distributed. Go with your goals and tune out everyone else. Also, thanks for starting this thread. It's refreshing.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    5'8" here and my goal is 150 or 160 if it's muscle rather than fat. I look a lot heavier than other people my same weight so I know at goal I will still look huge, but realistically I cannot see myself maintaining at a lower weight without dedicating my self full time to weightloss. If that was my only activity other than work then maybe 130 or 140 would be a good goal.
  • strelitzia4
    strelitzia4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my goal is 140. This number was provided as an ideal weight by my insurance company several years ago. I'll adjust if needed when I get close.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My Doctor says the BMI is *kitten* because two diff people at 5'8 and the same weight can look completely diff. Its about body fat percentage and muscle mass, also bone density is a factor. I look extremely fit at 170. 160 would be my ultimate goal and my Doctor says I shouldn't go lower than 160. This lady proves it - 175 and legs for days!
    vohme74tmyp6.jpg

This is me at 175 pounds, I think 15 less would look perfect, get rid of the last bits of flab, according to BMI, I could lose 50 pounds and still be healthy. 50 pounds??! That's like a huge bag of dog food, where would it even come off? Goes to show I guess, how different it is for everyone!

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'm shooting for 160-ish to start, and will probably change my mind before that even, as I'd like to do lifting as well.
  • mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh wait I'm a dumb *kitten* you are the woman who posted the question. You look fricken fabulous.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8. I started at 240 pounds and got down to 143. That was not a healthy weight on me. I ended up having amenorrhea (lack of period). I have since gained some weight back. I currently weigh about 180. Yes, it's higher than most women of my height, but I also have a decent bit of lean body mass (about 135 pounds at my last BF% reading, which includes everything but my fat in that weight). I'm more concerned with how high/low my BF% is rather than how much I weigh per a scale. My profile picture is a pretty current pic of me at my current weight.
  • Mamamac1010
    Mamamac1010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm also 5'8 and my goal is between 150-160.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8. I started at 220 and my original goal was 170 just because it was a 50 lb loss. I am now at 159. My ultimate goal is 150 - but I havent seen that number in YEARS so I am just kinda going with what I'm doing right now and will see if I get there. I am really happy with my body right now at 159 though- I am a size 8-10 and medium (sometimes even small!) in dresses/tops. I have always weighed more than I looked.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body and goals are different. OP looks great at 175-and if she feels good that's even more important.

I have two sisters and we are all between 5'7"-5'8". My sisters are both naturally thin-about 110-115 lbs and are healthy and look great. I have always been heavier than them and weigh about 140 right now and look great too :) my goal right now is to lose a bit of fat and I will probably end up around 130-135.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 150. I wanted to lose 15 more because that's what i weighed in college. But I'm pretty happy where I am here.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 208 and my goal is 160 - i'd be soo happy if I got to 160. Like others here, I carry a lot of my weight in my legs and don't look like I weigh as much as I do. I haven't been 160 in years (like 20) but got to 180 a few years ago and was pretty happy there, but knew I could lose at least 20 more.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am also the same height and I was at 160 for most of my life. My goal is 130, because my fat percentage is still too high (28%, ultimate goal is 20%) and I would like to get rid of cellulite. I will probably look the way you do now when I will weight 130 pounds. Are you sure you are not higher? :)
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    cookmtn wrote: »
    Want to point out that 5'8" , 160 lbs with a lot of muscle looks much different than 160 lbs with low muscle mass!

This. It's why I don't set scale goals anymore. I'm 5'9" and currently hovering at 150, yet I still have more body fat than I would like. I also get the comments all the time if I'm sick and that I should stop losing. Do what is healthy for you, and disregard what others are doing because it's your body you are living in, not theirs.

I always take these comments as well-meaning, but misguided. I think people's expectations are so shaped by what they're used to. When people were used to seeing me overweight, they liked seeing me start to lose, but when I was close to reaching my goal I think the difference was a bit shocking to them. So they interpreted it as me being sick. I was in the middle of my healthy weight range, living a healthy lifestyle.
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    mellyo77 wrote: »
    Oh wait I'm a dumb *kitten* you are the woman who posted the question. You look fricken fabulous.

:blush: haha Thanks!
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    smetka01 wrote: »
    I am also the same height and I was at 160 for most of my life. My goal is 130, because my fat percentage is still too high (28%, ultimate goal is 20%) and I would like to get rid of cellulite. I will probably look the way you do now when I will weight 130 pounds. Are you sure you are not higher? :)

Well, the platform heels help :smile:
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It seems like everywhere I look the goal of 5'8" women is 115-145, why does this seem incredibly low to me? It seems like I am the only one who has a goal that is 160! I'd be happy with 165 too, but 160 is my ultimate lowest of low goal. Now I'm starting to second guess myself, I'm I setting the bar too low? Am I supposed to weigh less than that?
    I use the excuse that I have a large frame, but I guess I'm not really sure?
    A lot of 5'8" ladies' starting weight is my goal weight!!

Please do not base your goal on any charts!!
    Base it on the weight that makes YOU feel and look your best in your opinion and your eyes!!
    I'm 5'9" and my goal is 145.
    I've been that weight before and felt my best.
    I am long limbed and smaller boned.
    I wear a Fitbit charge HR in size small and it's on the 3rd tightest hook.
    I think it depends on where you carry your weight.
    At 155 I have long thinner legs and upper body and a spare tire around my middle.
    145 is the weight I feel the most in shape and have a flat stomach.
    Do what makes YOU feel good!!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in BMI; weight vs height doesn't take into consideration muscle tone at all. I think 150 is a very reasonable, healthy choice for your height.