Experienced carb cutters?

Options
I've recently reduced the amount of carbs I intake and putting more time into my workouts in order to get past my plateau. Just this week I'm I'm 5+ lbs down and only have ~12 to go. I try to stay between 50 and 75g per day with the bulk of that coming from dairy (plain yogurt for the win!) Is this safe? Will my body go into store mode once I start eating whole grains again?

Replies

• wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cutting or moving to low carb, but I'm gonna follow this conversation :)
  • kgailvincent
    kgailvincent Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As a carb lover it is the only thing I could cut out, I still get some carb g's from vegetables, and mostly non fat dairy but I've steered clear of bread, and all grain. I like to think that my body will finally let go of the fat being stored due to my carb intake.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Will my body go into store mode once I start eating whole grains again?

You may regain the water weight you lost this week from cutting carbs, but you shouldn't gain body fat if your calorie balance is the same.
  • kgailvincent
    Options
    That makes sense, since carbs hold onto water. I don't plan on going any higher than 150g/carbs per day, unless its cross train day. Water weight is so deceiving
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I stay at around 50% a day and get almost all veggie carbs. I find that if I go lower carb, I begin to get massive sweets cravings. My body does well on the percentage I am at. Some days I am under and other days I am over. I don't consume dairy products although for a while I was big on Greek yogurt for protein, but after reading many holistic nutritional texts I decided that dairy products aren't very good for the human body. I get a lot of protein from veggies as well as vegan protein products. I can't say for sure if adding the carbs back in will cause weight gain. I think it probably comes down to the types of carbs. I do know several people who were no carb for a while and ended up gaining some weight back once they added carbs back into their diet. Personally, I think people need to get off the low/no carb train and just start eating whole plant-based foods.
  • kgailvincent
    Options
    Great point! Personally I don't/can't intake much food so whatever I eat needs to be protein packed just so I can keep some muscle mass. Particularly plant based foods are high in fiber which is horrible for my digestion because of slow transit issues, so I try to stay within 25g/ fiber, or I risk excruciating evacuation. Besides tofu (which I've tried but gagged at the texture and smell), I think I need a recomendation for more vegan products that are minimaly processed. Let me know if you have any suggestions!
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you tried replacing normal yogurt with Greek Yogurt? Danon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt has 12g of protein in only 80 calories, and 9 carbs. Not sure if lower in carbs but It's delish and actually helps fill me up. I can survive with just a light salad and greek yogurt for lunch (and I'm a big fan of eating)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and have had great success with a moderate carb intake. I do between 100 to 130g of carbs daily. I usually have 15 to 30g for breakfast and snacks (two a day). 45g for lunch and 60g for dinner. I'm 5'5" and 200.6. I've lost 99.4lbs.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I enjoy So Good Coconut (Yogurt) as a replacement. Still has a lot of protein but it's dairy free.
  • kgailvincent
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat plain Greek yogurt with cinnamon and 1/2 scoop of unflavored protein for a total of 46g/protein-my go to breakfast (since I ditched steel cut oats) which ties me over until ~10am snack. Is the coconut yogurt high in fat? Its my other arch enemy, especially saturated fat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Cut calories for fat loss, increase fat and protein for satiety.

I'm in maintenance and don't really fret over macros anymore, and it's wonderful to let go of fear of fat and now also fear of carbs ;)
  • kgailvincent
    Options
    Cut calories for fat loss, increase fat and protein for satiety.

I'm in maintenance and don't really fret over macros anymore, and it's wonderful to let go of fear of fat and now also fear of carbs ;)

I have trouble reaching my minimum calorie requirement most days so the calorie deficit is not an issue.

statically I am not overweight, I'm just trying to lower my bmi and get lean I think my body just found a comfortable weight and is reluctant to let anymore go.

I understand the logic, but my family has a history of cardiovascular disease so saturated fats are always on the for front of my mind when it comes to food.
    I can't wait to reach maintaince

Thanks for the tips tho