Discouraged

Options
I'm having a hard time sticking to a healthy eating and exercise plan. My daughter is on gluten free/low carb (because of a health problem). She doesn't need to lose weight, but we eat what she eats to make it easier. It's a hard plan to stick to though. It's hard to go to restaurants, the food is expensive, about half of it tastes like cardboard. I'm just getting discourages. I have gained a couple pounds and I'm starting to feel like I can't do it anymore! Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat for yourself and not your daughter or you will continue to have the same problems.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Well, my advice really depends on where you want to take this.

Here in the UK there are great options for gluten free. You could just play with the recipes you got and make thus work even if this sometimes means that your daughter can't have all of the things you have cooked that day.

Or you could take it from a whole different angle. There are lots of people around that swear by a low carb diet as the best thing to do for weigh loss and general wellbeing (while I'm not doing it myself). You should make this into your advantage. There are billions of pages online that got lots of low carb recipes. I'm sure you will be able to find some that don't taste like cardboard, just play around with them a little, spices aren't high carb.

As I understand it, when you start a low carb diet, especially if it is for weight loss, you have to go through Keto phase but I'm sure there is a low carb group on here that has all the information.

Any kind of restrictions on diets are annoying when you go out for dinner... I'm afraid you might just have to get used to it and hope you find some places that cater for your needs
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free and healthy and hardly anything I eat tastes like cardboard (ricecakes and corn tortillas being the exceptions, but they're just the "carrier" for foods that taste really good). I also have my macros set to 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat, so a "little" low in carbs (from "recommended"). I avoid bread and pasta "substitutes" and choose whole foods that are naturally GF. Vegetables, rice, quinoa, potatoes, meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, legumes, vegetables, nuts, spices. We recently had quinoa and cheese made like (traditional baked) mac and cheese that turned out really nicely. Curries, thai and mexican recipes are generally easy to do with GF ingredients, as well as lots of "all-american" favorites.