Options
13»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Go with the lower estimates you're seeing here. It's too risky (read:weight gain) to guess high.

+1 to the poster who said to just log your usual 5 mile burn, the baby is an extra bonus. You have nothing to lose but more weight.

She's not trying to lose weight. It seems it was just a rhetorical "let's make the MFP monkeys dance" question.

So now you can only ask a question if you're trying to lose weight? Thanks for rewriting the forum rules as well as the definition of sarcasm...

You're welcome. Glad I could help.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    minizebu wrote: »
    Aha! It's actually in the database but only for a 15lb baby. It says I should burn an extra 230 calories for an hour (presumably I add that to the burn for walking 5 miles in slightly over an hour, which is a lot more than that)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/calories-burned/walking-carrying-infant-or-15-lb-load-201

This isn't an extra 230 calories on top of what you would already burn. This is saying that the burn rate for that much activity was 230 calories.

It can't because it didn't know my speed. When I input my speed for walking with no extra weight it gives me 329.

It's a BS entry. It's inaccurate. It's garbage.

I agree.
    OP, I would suggest you simply enter it as having walked 5 miles at your current weight, not including the 30# munchkin. The additional calorie burn isn't worth the brain damage required to figure it out. Chalk it up as a bonus in getting you to your goal weight faster.

I'm at goal weight. I don't actually calorie count so it doesn't really matter to me, it just occurred to me that the effort expended walking that fast with 25% of your body weight must account for something.

Then why are you asking if you don't care?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go with the lower estimates you're seeing here. It's too risky (read:weight gain) to guess high.

+1 to the poster who said to just log your usual 5 mile burn, the baby is an extra bonus. You have nothing to lose but more weight.

She's not trying to lose weight. It seems it was just a rhetorical "let's make the MFP monkeys dance" question.

Sigh. I guess my first sentence applies regardless, she could gain by overestimating burns and eating it back.

I really hope I don't get a response that she doesn't eat back exercise calories, because then the entire question is a moot point, and you'd be right.

Lol. Definitely do not read this:
    Aha! It's actually in the database but only for a 15lb baby. It says I should burn an extra 230 calories for an hour (presumably I add that to the burn for walking 5 miles in slightly over an hour, which is a lot more than that)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/calories-burned/walking-carrying-infant-or-15-lb-load-201

This isn't an extra 230 calories on top of what you would already burn. This is saying that the burn rate for that much activity was 230 calories.

It can't because it didn't know my speed. When I input my speed for walking with no extra weight it gives me 329.

I agree.
    OP, I would suggest you simply enter it as having walked 5 miles at your current weight, not including the 30# munchkin. The additional calorie burn isn't worth the brain damage required to figure it out. Chalk it up as a bonus in getting you to your goal weight faster.

Agreed.

I eat to fuel my fitness and encourage others to do the same. But getting caught up in minutiae like this will undermine your weight loss. Focus on being fit and healthy and not on justifying an extra serving of mashed potatoes based on specious mathematics.
    Like I said, I weigh 120lbs, do not log and am not trying to justify eating anything or lose any weight. I was simply asking a question.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Sigh. I guess my first sentence applies regardless, she could gain by overestimating burns and eating it back.

I really hope I don't get a response that she doesn't eat back exercise calories, because then the entire question is a moot point, and you'd be right.

I agree.

Agreed.

I eat to fuel my fitness and encourage others to do the same. But getting caught up in minutiae like this will undermine your weight loss. Focus on being fit and healthy and not on justifying an extra serving of mashed potatoes based on specious mathematics.
    Like I said, I weigh 120lbs, do not log and am not trying to justify eating anything or lose any weight. I was simply asking a question.

LOL. *Sigh* again.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I agree.

Agreed.

LOL. *Sigh* again.

At least it's almost Friday? :flowerforyou:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

I agree.

I'm at goal weight. I don't actually calorie count so it doesn't really matter to me, it just occurred to me that the effort expended walking that fast with 25% of your body weight must account for something.

Then why are you asking if you don't care?

Given previous threads, methinks OP had gone more than 5.5 seconds without crowing that she's always been naturally thin and doesn't need to count calories. But I doubt we'll ever truly know. Sigh.