Trying to get to 5% BF

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Abraham and since 2012 I've lost 40 pounds. I am now trying the last part of my journey, to go from overweight and miserably with my body image to being in competition shape. I am about 10% body fat currently and have hit a wall, so using this app will hopefully help me to lose those last stubborn pounds. I'm def too shy to pupblicly compete but I want so bad to have a body at that level. Anyways, thank you very much for reading, and good luck with your journeys.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to maintain 5% body fat. That sort of body fat level is only maintained for a couple of weeks and the stage look is only maintained for a day. The mental and physical effort that it takes to get to that level is simply not sustainable long term. It's why those of us who compete have off seasons or spend a couple of months going through competition prep. 10% body fat is about as low as most men are able to maintain while not compromising their health.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with usmcmp not sure why u would want to be sub 10% unless u was going on stage or photoshoot ie short period. You should look great at 10%
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You won't be able to maintain 5% body fat. That sort of body fat level is only maintained for a couple of weeks and the stage look is only maintained for a day. The mental and physical effort that it takes to get to that level is simply not sustainable long term. It's why those of us who compete have off seasons or spend a couple of months going through competition prep. 10% body fat is about as low as most men are able to maintain while not compromising their health.

Hit the nail on the head
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to do it to prove they can.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Fair enough but my understanding would be to get there you would need to target a date and have a plan to hit it then and like u said u could stay there for long
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rdl81 wrote: »

Fair enough but my understanding would be to get there you would need to target a date and have a plan to hit it then and like u said u could stay there for long

No clue. I'm a far cry from it. Haven't had to dial it in that tightly yet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I understand wanting to achieve it to prove you can. I also know that many people don't understand that bodybuilders don't look like that all the time.
  • abraham11982
    abraham11982 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Exactly. Thank you sir. Def wont be able to stay there. But I wanna do it once
  • abraham11982
    Options
    I should have clarified haha. Def know it's not a year round sustainable look. But its like running a marathon, I wanna just say I can do it. But I also know it will be the hardest thing I've ever donr, I can already tell. Much respect to anyone who has achieved that level of fitness
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Won't you be near dead at 5%?
  • abraham11982
    Options
    Won't you be near dead at 5%?

No, I think bodybuilders reach at least that number during competition ☺