Good Chinese options!

Options
Help! I have a work party tomorrow evening and we're going to the nicest Chinese in town. Does anyone know any wiser choices I could order not bursting in calories and fat that won't blow my regime?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Something with lots of veggies and chicken or shrimp. You could leave the rice to cut a few hundred calories (I usually eat some of it, but leave most).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    beef and broccoli is my go to.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I go to a place that does sushi too and just order that... otherwise it would be wonton soup and steamed dumplings, probably. I always figured that beef and broccoli was a good choice until I saw some calorie counts online for like 600 calories a cup... I guess you could ask for sauce on the side though! But last time I ordered that with chicken, the chicken tasted like cardboard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I go to a place that does sushi too and just order that... otherwise it would be wonton soup and steamed dumplings, probably. I always figured that beef and broccoli was a good choice until I saw some calorie counts online for like 600 calories a cup... I guess you could ask for sauce on the side though! But last time I ordered that with chicken, the chicken tasted like cardboard.

I've seen high counts too, but also high counts for everything else.
    I know my local joint has a pretty reasonable beef and broccoli. It's one of the lowest at Panda as well.

I do like the sushi idea as well. But of course you have to be careful there as well.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I get steamed broccoli and brown rice with shrimp. I don't add the sauce since it tastes just fine without it.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Shrimp/chicken/beef veggies.
    Lighter sauces will probably be lower in calories compared to the darker calories.
    Egg drop soup maybe?
    I'd suggest to control your portion size and avoid fried foods.
    Sometimes if it's a good place, they may have good steamed fish.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Look at the soups. There's probably one called something like "House Special Soup". It will be the most expensive soup, usually. It's a giant portion of clear (chicken?) broth, with vegetables, chicken, and/or shrimp. Maybe some pork in there, too. It's low in calories and fat. Order it as your main course.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Often there is a steamed option like steamed chicken and broccoli or other veggies.
    Egg foo young and other dishes are lowish in calories if you get them without the sauce.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hard to say unless we really know the type of restaurant...are we talking HK/Cantonese restaurant, Sichuan, Hakka...or NA "Chinese" like PF Chang.

When we go our our staples are Gai lan, Bok Choi or Choi Sum in garlic; Shitake/Oyster Mushroom and Tofu, steamed rice, steamed or quick sauteed seafood dishes...for Sichuan we have Cucumber Salad, Sauteed Water Spinach or Luffa with Egg, fish fragrant Eggplant and Fish/Tofu in Sichuan Sauce (almost soup like).