Fallen off

Put on 2 pounds as not been tracking. Have a holiday in 10 weeks and really need to lose some timber. Do you think 800 calories a day is too low. This is what Dr Moseley is advising on the blood sugar diet.

Replies

• hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    way too low, and you'll be miserable the whole 10 weeks. Just start tracking again and keep a more modest deficit (15-20% below maintenance) - or my preferred technique is eat the maintenance calories for the weight you want to be, and eventually you'll reach it (or near enough), that way you'll learn what you need to be eating to stay that weight permanently.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    I don't think you seriously expect anyone to tell you eating 800 calories a day is okay, I don't think you even think that yourself. It just sounds like you're panicking and need to take a deep breath and see sense. On a moderate deficit you can lose close to half a stone in fat by the time your holiday comes round. That is a hell of a lot. But eat 800 calories a day you'll likely give up long before then and over eat when your body is crying out for all of the food. You want to be feeling miserable for your holiday? 800 calories a day will do that. Oh and any diet that has a brand name is a crock of s**t. An ordinary moderate calorie deficit has always worked, people who try ti create a new way of doing that are doing so to make money.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    spot on, diet books are constantly battling to come up with new fads and reinvent old ones to make money, and we're all so gullible - always looking for a silver bullet or quick fix. Good diet advice is much more 'boring' and doesn't sell many books.

Checkout the NHS diet advice: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/weight-loss-guide/Pages/weight-loss-guide.aspx

The advice there is largely inline with what you'll find here.

The NHS are not trying to make money, they are trying to reduce the strain on the health service (so I guess they are trying make money in as far as cutting their costs goes), so it's in their interest to promote weight loss methods that work.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    You need a life style change have goals but not too strict or you'll lose the weight then go back there old habits = a lifetime of yoyoing

I am that person 28 years a yoyoer
  • caroljoyce1961
    caroljoyce1961 Posts: 8 Member
    MFP advises 1200 calories a day so I will stick with that and try and do a lot of exercise mainly walking etc.