How do I estimate caloric loss for strength training?

Options
Like title.
Should I even add it to the daily diary?
Putting my values for cardio already tells me I'm losing way more calories than I would realistically be burning, so I feel like adding strength training too would just mess up my daily calories meter.

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles on the MFP Help pages...

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-

myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont log my strength training calories, they aren't significant enough to me and i lift a lot.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I honestly don't log any of my exercises into MFP because it always way overestimates what i burn.
    Pretty sure a 45 minute aerobic says i burn nearly 300 calories.

Strength is more about building muscle and toning, rather then causing a deflect.

So i personally dont recommend you go by what it says on here. And i wouldn't eat back what it says you burn. Just keep on your calories restrict and ignore the net calories you gain back.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I add the strength training but cut it and my cardio times by 50% minimum. The estimates in the database are way too high for me. YMMV.
  • Fizeau
    Fizeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor. I have little rest time in between exercises (go from one to the other and back again until set done).
    One of the big problems with estimated calorie burn in strength training is the unknown of how long a person simply sits on a machine recovering. If you took 10 min to do a squat set, but rested for 8 of those minutes, your calorie burn estimate will be highly inflated.
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Under Armor Record to track my lifting and I've synced it with MFP to track my strength training calorie burn. (MFP and Record are both by UA.)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Generally 200-300 an hour, but it also depends on your intensity, rest between sets, compound vs isolation, total lean mass, I generally just log an hour so I can make sure to eat an extra 300 ontop of my maintenance.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree I usually go on my bike and lift weights and I try to get close to how many I lost on my bike. And it is as close as possible.